Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j200 truss rod

Epiphone93

Hey guys, merry Christmas from the uk!

I have been lucky enough to have found a gibson j200 in an old house clearance! It is in need of some work however to get it looking nice and playing, the finish is all flakey and cracked, the neck needs resetting and the truss rod has snapped. I notice stewmac sell a replacement truss rod, well 2 actually, but can anybody tell me the length of the original truss rod so I know whether to buy their 'original' or their 'universal'?

The universal one can be cut to length then tapped/died accordingly.

Thanks for any help.

Not sure if like are allowed, please remove if I'm breaching anything!

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Truss_Rods/Adjustable_Truss_Rods/Gibson_Truss_Rod.html

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Truss_Rods/Adjustable_Truss_Rods/Traditional_Truss_Rod_Kit.html

I assume you are either and experienced guitar tech or a luthier if you're going to tackle this project. This is generally not something a hobbyist is going to attempt.

Do you know the year of the guitar? If you don't, give us the serial number and we'll try to help figure out what you need.

Once again, this is probably not a guitar on which to learn luthier skills.

I'm amazed that a 2009 model would be in the condition you describe. A 2009 model would have the serial number format 0xxx9xxx. It should have an orange oval label (or maybe white) visible through the soundhole, and say "Bozeman, Montana USA" at the bottom of the label. The serial number should also be permanently stamped on the guitar in some way, either ink-stamped on the neck block (visible inside the guitar) or impressed into the back of the headstock on "standard" models.

Gibson has apparently used the same truss rod for the last 50 years or so. The Stewmac Gibson rod should be the right one, if it's a 2009.

917092013 - it is a 1999 model, I have just checked for myself, I'm guessing the Luthier mistyped it the first time around!

Too many numbers in that serial number. Should be eight numbers. That 2013 at the end is the problem, as the rest makes sense.

Archived