Gibson Brands Forums

Decal change

LarryUK

Yes you can but it would require re-lacquering the headstock. You would need to be comfortable with that to do a good job.

This kind of refinishing pretty much obliterates the value of the instrument as a collector's item too. This is the pitfall with buying the more expensive Gibsons (and let's be honest they are all expensive) whereby if the finish isn't how you want it stock, its just not generally worth refinishing unless you can write off a good chunk of the resale value.

I would not do it myself on any guitar I wasn't absolutely certain was 'the one'. [thumbup]

Yes you can but it would require re-lacquering the headstock. You would need to be comfortable with that to do a good job.

This kind of refinishing pretty much obliterates the value of the instrument as a collector's item too. This is the pitfall with buying the more expensive Gibsons (and let's be honest they are all expensive) whereby if the finish isn't how you want it stock, its just not generally worth refinishing unless you can write off a good chunk of the resale value.

I would not do it myself on any guitar I wasn't absolutely certain was 'the one'. [thumbup]

Grovesnor is correct.

Modifying the headstock like that would hurt the resale value some day, should you decide to sell the guitar (or if your family needs to sell it after you pass away, many years from now).

I believe that the 2015 'Les Paul 100' headstock guitars will eventually be worth quite a bit some day, again many years from now.

But not if they have been monkeyed with.

I got some ugly kids but I like other things about them .. [thumbup]

For me the wider neck and the brass (cough titanium lol) nut are really cool, so too the wonderful finish on the rosewood they put on this year and I genuinely prefer the playability to other years. I can overlook the 100 sig. People don't notice that stuff when you're shredding on stage anyway. [tongue] Like I said, also, the '15 Classic has my favourite tone of all the models this year.

Once you get your action set where you like it, I found it played like butter. I really like it enough to overlook any cosmetic issues - and mine has several. Its got liberal orange peel along the neck where it meets the body, the binding is slightly scalloped at the nut end on the top, there's a flaw in the maple near the knobs, the pots feel bad with one too loose and one really tight etc.

Like you I got a huge discount on it and I like how it plays and sounds. I think you can either choose to look at it one of two ways: you either like the instrument, flaws included, or you can't accept the sloppiness and imperfection because you believe the price commands better quality. I totally empathise with both points of view and I think I have always adjusted my expectations down with the prices I pay and decide on that basis. You could not build your own for much less than what you paid..

The robo tuner is worth leaving alone too unless you are a one-guitar-only kinda guy. Its fun having one in your collection. Everyone loves and/or loves to hate the 15's. Its always a great conversation starter. And they will age well as sparquelito said. I would say, sincerely, try and accept it for what it is, or return it and get the one you really want. It's such a personal thing, or it can be just another instrument in a collection. Decisions. Decisions. Hehe.

FWIW I never wanted a 15. I completely share your sentiment regarding the aesthetics. But every time I see one for stupid money in the sales I have to set that aside and ask myself: how much guitar am I getting for the money? If the answer is 'silly amounts' I get my plastic out and bite my lip. [flapper]

Put some duct tape over it! I don't think they will be that collectable in years to come just because of the ugly features - look at all the odd things Gibson have done over the years. Does the 70's pancake make them more valuable today than in the 70's? Not really. How about volute? Nah...I could go on...

If you think the headstock is ugly now, wait until you see it after you try and remove the silk screen.

The way the headstocks are finished, even though they aren't all that complicated to do in the building, they are a bit of work to "fix". You literally would have to re-do the whole thing to make it uniform, or acceptable, and probably a 50/50 chance it won't age well.

I think mainly, the reason why it seems so "ugly" is we aren't used to seeing it, and it stands out a bit. I think once you look at it more, it won't seem ugly. I heven't even seen it too much, but I am already used to it. I don't think it so ugly anymore, but actually, kinda cool.

It is unanimous. Trying to change the signature is a bad idea.

I've got a couple guitars I am not happy with. It is just a matter of time until I decide to sell them and take the loss, then get a guitar I like better. That's part of the risk of buying a new Les Paul Standard. Having paid full price, the go down in resale value in the short term.

I wouldn't try to change it either.

Not because of resale value, I buy instruments to play them, and gig with them. The money I make gigging with an instrument over its life span is more than I could sell it for in pristine condition. Plus, by the time I'm done with them they are pretty much worn out.

I wouldn't change it (1) because I'd probably botch the job and make it look worse (2) changing it wouldn't make me play any better (3) changing it wouldn't let me charge more or less per gig and (4) the audience doesn't care what's on the guitar, they just want to hear the music.

If I don't bond with an instrument for any reason, I just sell it for something new. When I do bond with an instrument, I play them until they wear out.

But I'm a player, not a collector. There is more than one right way to own a guitar.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived