Gibson Brands Forums

Devastating Floods In UK

capmaster

Torrential rain has caused severe floods in Northern England. Wales and Scotland obviously are affected as well. The pictures spreaded through media are terrifying and horrific. [crying]

How about you forumites living there? Do you have any contact at all? Please stay safe in all the horror. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your families. [-o<

I live 4 miles from Whalley and about 7 miles from Ribchester, both of which are under water, but thankfully where I am is safe. The rain has been of truly biblical proportions. To be on the safe side I took all my guitars up to bed with me last night (my wife wasn't happy about having to sleep in the bath O:)).

Ian

Guest Farnsbarns

We're not in any trouble here in this corner of Surrey.

Glad you're ok Ian.

Trying to think if there's any other members up your way?

Yeah I think Cumbria has had like one massive flood a week for like the last month.. Just as they are getting things dry and cleaned up, it happens all over again....

Cant imagine what that would be like.. Or indeed being hit by a tornado like whats going on in the US...

Crazy stuff.. My thoughts and best wishes go to all those effected..

Although Glasgow typically has over 1000mm of rainfall per year, it's typically spread throughout the year - hence the wet wet wet summers - so sustained torrential rainfall is the exception rather than the rule, but what's been happening in Cumbria and beyond is simply unfathomable. Best wishes to those affected.

Having been "the news reporter" covering all sorts of the vicissitudes of nature, I'd say that each of those affected will respond somewhat differently, but often it's a life changing event. That's even for those physically unhurt.

In ways I think it is good that we have occasional reminders of our places in Mother Nature. We can believe we're so advanced that we're no longer vulnerable to nature and that we might even change her ways as we might wish, and she continues to remind that we're dependent on her better moods to live and eat; and must cower before her anger or neglect.

m

Sorry to see the flood damage in England and resultant tragedy and upheaval in people's live. Sad to see historic sites, some hundreds of years old, being destroyed.

Same thoughts and concerns for those experiencing tornadoes in the southern USA.

Hard to believe I saw a big forest fire in California on the news last night. Their ongoing drought has created a year-round fire season.

I live on a rock on top of a hill so flooding isn't a problem but we are in an Earthquake zone. Nobody is safe.

Truly terrible news from both here and Texas.

Here on the south-east London / Kent border we're OK but we paid a visit to the South Bank today and were truly astonished by how high was the river level.

Those living in and around Cumbria must be heartbroken.

Earlier in the week - before the latest deluge - I heard reports from two hill-farmers who have land in the affected area. One had witnessed many of his fields' 400-y-old dry-stone dykes destroyed and spread over a 15 acre area by flash-flooding in the hillsides. He has lost 90% of his livestock due to drowning.

The other had just seen his 'silage' fields buried under three feet of scree. That means no winter feed for his cattle / dairy herd for the next two years.

Devastating on a personal level and those are just two random individuals.

Heartfelt best wishes to all.

Pip.

The ancient & incredibly beautiful city of York is now flooded, although for some parts of York it's not unusual. There's an old pub down by the river that has marking on the walls showing how high the water got over several hundreds of years. I'm thinking they might have to start putting marks on the upstairs floor now!

Ian

I live 4 miles from Whalley and about 7 miles from Ribchester, both of which are under water, but thankfully where I am is safe. The rain has been of truly biblical proportions. To be on the safe side I took all my guitars up to bed with me last night (my wife wasn't happy about having to sleep in the bath O:)).

Ian

Some years ago I fished the river Ribble at Ribchester. It has always been something of a spate river fed as it is by its double source rivers of the Ribble itself and the Hodder which is fed by the hills of the Forest of Bowland (beautiful bit of the English countryside). The river rises very rapidly if there is rain upstream and during the hours I fished the river it rose 6 feet in the space of minutes from a severe rainstorm I could see pouring itself out a few miles distant.

Ribchester sits quite a number of feet above the standard summer level of the river. At a guess I'd say at least 15 feet and maybe a bit more and the town land is at a considerably higher level than the land of the opposite bank. So to flood Ribchester the river must have got very high indeed.

Yes, God Bless you all over there. The Ohio River got real bad a few years ago and I had friends and family involved in that.

A flood is a nasty, depressing thing and the clean up can be devastating as well.

Best to ya'll.

To see how quickly the flooding subsides, surely must prove that there is a bottleneck somewhere? If a massive dredging and sewer/drain cleaning was undertaken, this wouldn't happen. By me in Birmingham, whenever we get normal rain the bottom of my road floods. Proof of blockages below ground. The whole country need work below ground, but since everything has been privatised, profit is more important.

Luckily, so far we haven't had the rain from storm Frank, only the gales so I suspect it will be Cumbria that's getting it this time. We certainly are getting some extreme weather around the World, droughts in California and Australia were I believe they are having problems with forest fire but that's a different story because I understand some numpty started those deliberately. Makes you wonder what their thinking doesn't it?

More appropriate music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlRLvaXVyk8

Ian

Archived