Gibson Brands Forums

Do all Epiphones use hi Z wiring?

LouisWilliam

After re-wiring with better coax, my 2014 wildkat, it is no longer muddy! I notice other epi owners complaining about the same issue. Was thinking of purchasing a epi LP model.

Was wondering about this problem being endemic to this line. After all, when you build budget guitars, you have to cut corners some place. A soft nut, cheaper tuners, stuff like that are easy to remedy but a re-wire can be a bit more tricky depending on the instrument. Do any of you epiphone experts know what the skinny is on this issue. Is the whole line using this cheep, hi-Z coax?

After re-wiring with better coax, my 2014 wildkat, it is no longer muddy! I notice other epi owners complaining about the same issue. Was thinking of purchasing a epi LP model.

Was wondering about this problem being endemic to this line. After all, when you build budget guitars, you have to cut corners some place. A soft nut, cheaper tuners, stuff like that are easy to remedy but a re-wire can be a bit more tricky depending on the instrument. Do any of you epiphone experts know what the skinny is on this issue. Is the whole line using this cheep, hi-Z coax?

I'd be VERY surprised if your guitar was wired with coax.

Also the vast majority of pickups are designed to be High Z as Low Z ones would be very noisy in a normal amp due to the low signal strength. Any additional increase or decrease in impedance from the internal guitar wiring would have a negligible effect on tone due to the very short length of the wiring involved.

Archived