Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Model and Color Help

Rob831

In the fall of 2005, I purchased a Gibson ES-335, Serial Number 02865723. After searching some on-line guitar retailers and after looking at Gibson's guitar color chart, I have three questions:

1. What model is this ES-335? (The on-line retailers list several models: Gibson Memphis ES-335 Plain '60s Block Inlay "Slim Neck" Electric Guitar, Gibson Memphis ES-335 Dot Figured-top Electric Guitar with Gloss Finish, Gibson Custom Shop 1959 ES-335 Historic Dot Reissue, Gibson ES-335 Satin Finish Electric Guitar, Gibson Memphis ES-335 Dot "Fat Neck" Reissue Electric Guitar, Gibson Memphis ES-335 Dot Plain-top Electric Guitar with Gloss Finish, Gibson Custom Shop 1963 ES-335 Historic Block Reissue Electric Guitar, etc.)

2. What color blue is this? (Chicago Blue, Midnight, Manhattan Midnight, etc.)

3. What type and gauge of strings were stock on this guitar?

Thank you for your time and help.

Rob

Hey Rob--

Welcome to the forum!

I encourage you to repost your question in the "Gibson Custom" subforum. All ES models are considered Custom Shop guitars, and there is a custom shop administrator checking serial number backgrounds on guitars who regularly checks that forum. Not seeing pictures, it is hard for the rest of us to make a call on the information you need without resorting to guesses although some people here might be able to give you parts of the answers you seek.

Ignatius

I have an early 2006 ES335. They seem to have added some new names to the lineup since then. To the best of my recollection, the only blue offered on the ES335 at the time (other than custom order) was Beale Street Blue:

BealeStreetBlueMC.jpg

I believe the stock strings are Brite Wires in Light Gauge (10's).

First, thank you both Ignatius and zombiewuff for your helpful responses. I don't have a digital camera so I cannot include a picture of my guitar. However, my guitar is a little darker shade of blue than zombiewuff's ES-335. Also, my ES-335 does not seem to show the same amount of woodgrain as zombiewuff's ES-335. Can anyone tell me if "the amount of woodgrain" is what Gibson refers to a plain top versus flame top? Thank you again.

That photo was shot in full sunlight. My guitar appears quite a bit darker under typical indoor lighting.

That distinct pattern of the wood grain is called figured or flame maple. It can vary significantly from guitar to guitar, and color to color. I have seen some examples advertised as a figured top with very little of the typical pattern. Others are simply fantastic.

As I recall from my tour of the Memphis plant, they hand choose the tops according to color. With the lighter colors getting the choicest wood. Black guitars (also the satin and plain models) get shot with more opaque paint, and so have very little grain showing.

Hey zombiewuff-

Thank you for your reply. I too have toured the Memphis plant. I thought it was just amazing to see the guitars in production. Of course, I fell in love with SO many guitars while I was there. To this day, I cannot pass a music store without going in. And I still get that same feeling as I did as a little boy. I just LOVE guitars. Plus, Memphis is a neat city in its own right with Beale Street, Sun Studio, etc. I can't get over all the talent that came through Sam Phillips' doors. Again, thanks for your insight. Take care.

Archived