Gibson Brands Forums

Short, Long, Transitional Tenon ??? 60's Les Paul

Chuck E

I have a late 60's Les Paul Custom I have been trying to date. How exactly do I determine which tenon is on my Paul. The example pic's I've seen onlineappear to be dissected views. Is this an accurate method for dating this era LPC's?

Thanks guys for your advice Chuck E Ball

If it's anything like the ES 335 from the same period, it's not a reliable identifier. There seem to have been both long and short tenons in the late 1960's, with no discernible pattern.

With the ES 335, you just pull out the neck pickup to see the neck tenon, as it's fully exposed inside the pickup rout in the centerblock.

My 1968 ES 335 has a neck tenon virtually identical to the one on my '59 Historic.

With the ES 335, you just pull out the neck pickup to see the neck tenon, as it's fully exposed inside the pickup rout in the centerblock.

Way to go for a Les Paul, too. Carefully remove the neck pickup and look into the cavity. If unsure, take a pic and link it to a post. There are very knowledgeable forumites around here who will gladly give you the correct answer.

Hello Chuck!

If You are sure, Your Les Paul Custom is late-60s model, and it's not an SG-shaped one, then identifying the model year is very simple. If it has a volute (reinforcement at the neck headstock transition), it's a 1969. If not, it's a 1968 model. No other model years are available in that decade.

Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-1969-black-008.JPG

The volute on a 1969 Les Paul Custom.

In both cases, I am sure it has a long tenon joint.

Cheers... Bence

Archived