Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird pickguard

Erno12

I have a Hummingbird 63 and want to refresh my pickguard.

It's not broken but the colors are very pale.

What's yhe best thing to do: keep the original pickguard and find somebody to paint it or buy a new one ?

I must admit that this pickguard have many souvenirs and I would really like to keep it.post-75883-072497600 1451407601_thumb.jpg

Leave it alone. The wear on the pickguard is part of a vintage guitar's story.

If it's a 1963, that's pretty prime territory for Hummingbird lovers. Anything you do to the pickguard will probably actually reduce the value of the guitar.

Hey there - touching this p-guard would probably mean messing up. If anything try a thin thin thin brush here and there, , , then no again don't. .

But Erno - could we see larger pics of the whole guitar and close-up of the old guard ?

Welcome

Hey there - touching this p-guard would probably mean messing up. If anything try a thin thin thin brush here and there, , , then no again don't. .

But Erno - could we see larger pics of the whole guitar and close-up of the old guard ?

Welcome

Wouldn't the '63er have 'panzer paint' em7?

But no OP leave her alone. Everyone knows what you have there.

Wouldn't the '63er have 'panzer paint' em7?

The incredible'n'invincible GPP (German panzer paint) conquered during The Battle of Bulge, brought over the Atlantic in late 1945, then sold on the black market and eventually picked up by Kalamazoo.*

Yes, that was my thought and the reason close-ups could be interesting.

1963'ers very seldom show faded guards and I'm a Sherlock in progress on this topic.

In other words, you're on track, aliasphobias. Double curious here. .

Hope Erno12 gets the perspective.

*To avoid any misunderstandings and stray myths, this is an old tale made up by a slightly younger me.

Nothing to it at all - apart from the tremendous strength of that terrific, but toxic early 60's guard paint.

There are a group of crazy people out there who know lots and lots about Hummingbird pickguards. Who engraved them (many were signed), the whole history on engraving, molding, and painting. Some of the old ones are considered to be handmade works of art -- not too far off the mark. I wish I knew more about it. Google is not a big help.

Best,

-Tom

Archived