Gibson Brands Forums

Klone

surfpup

Which version is this kit supposed to be based on? I did the silver version (on stripboard) and it's great. My friend has an original so I got to try them side by side too.

The higher gain sounds aren't great (on the original or the clones) but as a boost or light OD it's hard to beat. It has great clarity and dynamics and no noise until you crank the gain

[flapper]

Did you ever get a load of Bill's new rerelease of the Klon? It has his opinions printed directly on the enclosure

I did see that!

I have a great Centaur story from a time of lots of great Centaur stories, but it takes a few cocktails to get it going. MAN them were the days!

rct

[flapper]

Did you ever get a load of Bill's new rerelease of the Klon? It has his opinions printed directly on the enclosure

Yeah, in fact I think someone here (Rev David Lee perhaps) got a KTR from Santa. Funny how he labeled the new buffer switch too. Interesting guy.

GGG says... "Based on the information available, we believe that this is as close as it gets to being an accurate circuit replica of the “Silver” Klon Centaur".

Yeah, in fact I think someone here (Rev David Lee perhaps) got a KTR from Santa. Funny how he labeled the new buffer switch too. Interesting guy.

GGG says... "Based on the information available, we believe that this is as close as it gets to being an accurate circuit replica of the “Silver” Klon Centaur".

Nice. What kind of diodes and op amps does the kit come with?

I did see the Rev's KTR [thumbup]

The buffer sounds great and I agree with the point, but the printed quips are pretty tacky to me. Aesthetically the KTR is a huge fail to my eyeballs, but as long as it sounds as good as the old Klons it's gonna be cool

You are gonna love the sound of this pedal for sure since you're a Tube Screamer fan. I'd recommend sockets for the diodes and ICs

Nice. What kind of diodes and op amps does the kit come with?

I did see the Rev's KTR [thumbup]

The buffer sounds great and I agree with the point, but the printed quips are pretty tacky to me. Aesthetically the KTR is a huge fail to my eyeballs, but as long as it sounds as good as the old Klons it's gonna be cool

You are gonna love the sound of this pedal for sure since you're a Tube Screamer fan. I'd recommend sockets for the diodes and ICs

It actually came with sockets for the ICs. Though I have a bunch of them anyway since I socket my TS9 mods. The op amps are TL072 (of which I am a fan generally) and a 7660 for the charge pump.

It came with 1N34A diodes, and I will socket them as well. In fact I've already ordered some D9E diodes which supposedly match Mr. Finnegan's mythical germ diodes quite well. [rolleyes] I have quite a few others on hand too that I can try.

It actually came with sockets for the ICs. Though I have a bunch of them anyway since I socket my TS9 mods. The op amps are TL072 (of which I am a fan generally) and a 7660 for the charge pump.

It came with 1N34A diodes, and I will socket them as well. In fact I've already ordered some D9E diodes which supposedly match Mr. Finnegan's mythical germ diodes quite well. [rolleyes] I have quite a few others on hand too that I can try.

Haha yeah I matched the forward voltages of my diodes to the readings from the very nice BYOC trace and it sounds really good. It has sort of a glassy, compressed sound. And although it's compressed it's very responsive to picking attack. My friend didn't let me desolder components in his to measure them but it's just panasonic ECQ-V caps and what look like Xicon metal film resistors. If you wanna get nerdy about that stuff. Also all of the 1uf caps are Panasonic electrolytics, and if you use film for those it will probably sound different if you're picky :rolleyes:

... but it's just panasonic ECQ-V caps and what look like Xicon metal film resistors. If you wanna get nerdy about that stuff. Also all of the 1uf caps are Panasonic electrolytics, and if you use film for those it will probably sound different if you're picky :rolleyes:

Well, I do love me some Panasonic caps - I use them in everything. Though the Vikiin poly-film seem fine as well. [thumbup]

It actually came with sockets for the ICs. Though I have a bunch of them anyway since I socket my TS9 mods. The op amps are TL072 (of which I am a fan generally) and a 7660 for the charge pump. It came with 1N34A diodes, and I will socket them as well. In fact I've already ordered some D9E diodes which supposedly match Mr. Finnegan's mythical germ diodes quite well. [rolleyes] I have quite a few others on hand too that I can try.

Haha yeah I matched the forward voltages of my diodes to the readings from the very nice BYOC trace and it sounds really good. It has sort of a glassy, compressed sound. And although it's compressed it's very responsive to picking attack. My friend didn't let me desolder components in his to measure them but it's just panasonic ECQ-V caps and what look like Xicon metal film resistors. If you wanna get nerdy about that stuff. Also all of the 1uf caps are Panasonic electrolytics, and if you use film for those it will probably sound different if you're picky.

I get such a b0ner when you guys talk like this.

rct

Did the circuit board today. Guess this is what an unglooped Klon looks like. One thing I don't like about GGG kits is they don't label anything, so you spend a lot of time sorting resistors and capacitors (and testing them with the multi-meter). Then I found they forgot the two 4.7uf electrolytics, so I had to get them from Radio Shack.

bbe02873-c2de-42d9-8850-e323f0d04f83.jpg

5630107b-34f2-470d-a71e-9c292bdd52e8.jpg

Now I can continue trying to paint the enclosure in 85% humidity! I hate painting, but I already had a properly drilled enclosure and I'm cheap.

Did the circuit board today. Guess this is what an unglooped Klon looks like. One thing I don't like about GGG kits is they don't label anything, so you spend a lot of time sorting resistors and capacitors (and testing them with the multi-meter). Then I found they forgot the two 4.7uf electrolytics, so I had to get them from Radio Shack.

bbe02873-c2de-42d9-8850-e323f0d04f83.jpg

5630107b-34f2-470d-a71e-9c292bdd52e8.jpg

Now I can continue trying to paint the enclosure in 85% humidity! I hate painting, but I already had a properly drilled enclosure and I'm cheap.

Cool!

Spraying paint is hard, and the weather always makes it worse [crying]

Archived