Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 355 new or vintage

spender81

On 1/1/2016 at 10:42 AM, spender81 said:

First off i´m new to the world of 355´s!! All i know is that i´m in love with the tone of a 1961 es355

The neck pickups is so smooth is hurts....

The bridge pickups really shouts... it´s sooo F....ing perfect

Pleae listen to from the start until 4min 25secs.

My question is, is there any differnce between the early 60´s, 70´s and the newer 355´s???

Either i´ll buy a newer one or save for a vintage.

I've heard from MANY people that 70's 335 were crap. 50/60's were awesome and 80's onward were great.

16 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Different recording gear, though.  All analog back then with tube gear so there's that to consider.

Recording Gear has evolved for sure. But, those who know how to produce great Records did so with each evolution...

Those Guitars, with early PAF's, were always popular by Artist's using whatever Recording Gear... And still are... They were, simply, great Guitars... 

I owned a '59 ES 345 with PAF's... It was the best sounding Guitar I've ever played... Live or Recorded...

I don't think Recording Gear played a significant difference... In fact Recording Gear of today rivals anything of the 50's with regard to Sound Production quality.....

I'll take your word for it, I'm hardly the expert.

I just recall a few years ago Lenny Kaye sent me an album he was on and they made a big deal about it all being done on analog equipment due to the sound quality.

He plays guitar for a living, I play guitar to entertain myself and listen to what the big boys do on my "little radio" as my wife put it.