Gibson Brands Forums

flimsy neck

robertscott

I could be imagining it as I've only just gotten back into playing electric guitar, but I swear the neck on my LP DC is a bit too easy to bend.

Maybe it's just because I'm used to playing dreadnought acoustics but it definitely seems flimsy.

Is this possible? If there's a problem, how would I fix it? Would a heavier gauge of string help (I use 9s, currently)?

Thanks

I could be imagining it as I've only just gotten back into playing electric guitar, but I swear the neck on my LP DC is a bit too easy to bend.

Maybe it's just because I'm used to playing dreadnought acoustics but it definitely seems flimsy.

Is this possible? If there's a problem, how would I fix it? Would a heavier gauge of string help (I use 9s, currently)?

Thanks

I assume you are saying that you notice a pitch change when you shake the guitar or hold it at certain angles. This is common, it happens with all my guitars, especially DC's. SG's are the worst but it even happens with my Trads and they have fat necks and bodies. Watch any Pete Townsend performance when he was using LP Deluxes for an example of what I mean. If your guitar is worse than that something might be broken.

I assume you are saying that you notice a pitch change when you shake the guitar or hold it at certain angles. This is common, it happens with all my guitars, especially DC's. SG's are the worst but it even happens with my Trads and they have fat necks and bodies. Watch any Pete Townsend performance when he was using LP Deluxes for an example of what I mean. If your guitar is worse than that something might be broken.

thanks, man. Yeah it's not like it's really bad, but it can be noticed. I do think a lot of it is just my being a little too heavy handed so that's something I need to work on.

I did a little research and it does seem like DCs are quite well known for having a wobbly neck on account of a weaker neck joint. Is there anything I can do to strengthen it to stop it ever having problems or is it a case of waiting until there is a problem and fixing it?

From here I can completely confirm your statements. The thinner the neck, the more intense are the pitch deviations, and thus my SGs and my Explorer are affected most.

thanks, man. Yeah it's not like it's really bad, but it can be noticed. I do think a lot of it is just my being a little too heavy handed so that's something I need to work on.

I did a little research and it does seem like DCs are quite well known for having a wobbly neck on account of a weaker neck joint. Is there anything I can do to strengthen it to stop it ever having problems or is it a case of waiting until there is a problem and fixing it?

If it's not broken, nothing to fix. Try to work within the limitations. For example, I find that if I tune my SG while standing up it will go out of tune if I kick back on my couch and try to play it due to the shift in position. That's why I use a Tele or LP Standard for couch playing. I also use the wobbly necks on some guitars as natural vibrato when playing chords, it sounds fantastic to my ear, the more wobbly the neck, the better.

I actually don't notice the warble, on my SG's, UNLESS I want to make it do that.

They are more prone to it, than my single cut Les Paul's, but not annoyingly so,

really. But, maybe that's just Me?

CB

No, it's me, too. I just handle them all with the due care. [biggrin] For instance, I hold up fretting forces with my fretting hand's thumb, not with my striking hand's forearm, except I want to check for neck relief while fretting at 1st fret and last fret before the neck heel and try to fret out the strings. B)

I have the opposite problem.

I have to introduce tension on the neck with a backwards pull just in order to play. This is because I cant use my thumbs properly anymore.

The problem is more pronounced of my acoustics because they are larger and have higher action. Because of this, I can unintentionally go sharp due to too much pull back.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived