Gibson Brands Forums

New J-45

campfire1981

2010 Gibson J45 Standard owner here.

Setup from a way out to wonderful by the best guitar tech around! Still held the settings I think, all these years on..

So, 30% humidity is a death sentence. Splits about to happen.... Buy Humidipaks, place in soundhole and headstock area of case, and these keep the guitar at about 45% humidity. I have been using the packs for year approx. with good reults and no dramas.

I have the loved/hated Elixir PB 12 on all my guitars except National have Pearse reso strings for slide and Elixirs are awful for that!

So take the trouble to take it to the best guitar doctor in Canada, then buy Humidipaks and keep the Gibson in the case in a controlled situation, except for playing it with your new Elixir Phospor Bronze Lights! [biggrin] and then play the bags out of it to break that pony in.

BluesKing777.

All of my guitars sound different at one-time-or-another. They may sound like familiar excuses, but environment, humidity, temperature, strings all are part of the deal. The acoustics of the room. High ceilings, low ceilings. Hot days, cold days........I play in different venues and in each place my guitars sound different acoustically. They might resonate, the might sound like they're in another room, or the strings might sound dead......I think you owe it to yourself to give the J45 a real chance. If you don't, one day you will regret it.......Good luck, my friend.

Good Morning from the UK I bought my. J45 Standard in June last year and I am totally delighted . I received the following with the guitar . My guitar was out of the box in a Blue fur lined case

A pack with a spare set of Masterbuilt PB strings A key fob A pick A warranty folder showing a check list signed by quality control complete with playing action measurements in line with factory specs A cleaning cloth

You mentioned that the D and G string tuners need a bit more turning to tune , mine are the same , but don't forget the angle of these strings on the headstock they will need a bit more movement from the tuners

Yes my guitar does have a few minor issues as follows

The finish is not 100% flat I had to polish the frets and oil the fretboard and lube the nut

I always. Keep my guitar in the case I always use Gibson strings I noticed a big difference with other brands I always stay to 12 - 53 string gauge

One thing a did do once home for the first few weeks was stand the guitar in front of a loud hi fi speaker for s few hours a day whilst listening to music to let the air pressure into the body of the guitar

On a quality set up issue I did take the guitar to my tech for him to have a look at , he was impressed with the factory setup and told me to play the guitar for a few months before rushing into a setup straight away .

Would I buy another Gibson Acoustic , yes a nice Hummingbird TV would be a good friend to the J45

Good luck with your guitar

Thanks Relic, could you do me a favour and take a look at how that j-45 sits in your case. When mine is sitting in the case the second neck saddle groove closet to the body is too deep for the neck and their is 3/8 to 1/2"/ 1 -1.5 cm gap between the neck and saddle. I don't know if its from the large padding pillow on the bottom of the case pushing the body up but the neck sits in the first saddle groove fine. Noticing now that at the 9th-13th position on the back of the neck has about 5 little depressions each about 1/4" along the back side of the neck where this case saddle doesn't sit right. Heading into the big city in a few days to chat with the guys and see whats up.

Looked at some humidity information on the Taylor site and they had a good pictorial about low humidity and the signs of it and what to do to fix it. Gonna be hard to keep in the case for the next 3 to 4 days without playing it!!!!

Thanks Relic, could you do me a favour and take a look at how that j-45 sits in your case. When mine is sitting in the case the second neck saddle groove closet to the body is too deep for the neck and their is 3/8 to 1/2"/ 1 -1.5 cm gap between the neck and saddle. I don't know if its from the large padding pillow on the bottom of the case pushing the body up but the neck sits in the first saddle groove fine. Noticing now that at the 9th-13th position on the back of the neck has about 5 little depressions each about 1/4" along the back side of the neck where this case saddle doesn't sit right. Heading into the big city in a few days to chat with the guys and see whats up.

The neck of the guitar typically won't sit evenly on both neck rests, since the actual sectional shape of the neck is unlikely to be identical to the shapes cut into the rests. The stock case is designed to fit a number of different models with different neck profiles. My Southern Jumbo has the wider, shallower Luthier's Choice neck, and it has a gap similar to what you describe over the neck support closest to the body. When I put my 1948 J-45 in the same case, it still has a gap there, but it is slightly smaller than that under the Luthier's Choice neck.

The neck rests should not leave permanent marks on the back of the neck.

What you should see is an imprint of the strings in the padding in the top of the case over the fretboard, and sometimes, the imprint of the bridge pins into the top lining of the case over the bridge. There should be a pronounced piece of padding in the top of the case over the fretboard. This is really what holds the guitar in position, in most cases.

In the stock case supplied with the J-45, the lower bout should be held fairly firmly in position by the padding, but there may be small gaps around the upper bout,

I have read that some of the cases now being delivered have black cat fur rather than blue cat fur linings.

The case should be flat on the outside back, and arched over the top of the guitar. The modern stock J-45/slope-J cases I have are four-latch with a plastic handle, and have "Gibson" silk-screened on the top of the case. They also have "Gibson" and "made in Canada" on the little leather tab on the lid of the accessory pocket inside the case. They are pretty cheap cases, but they seem to hold the guitar pretty firmly.

I'm pretty sure these are TKL cases.

As I stated earlier I am totally delighted with my 45 , but not with the supplied case . I find the case is too heavy for such a light guitar The handle is uncomfortable The catches have sharp ends and edges I don't like having the make of the guitar advertised on the outsideI also would not like to be out in the rain and bad weather with the supplied case ( we all know what it is like getting to a gig unloading or loading in heavy rain ) I doubt if the case is thermal lined like a Hiscox

My advice would be go and buy a first class Hiscox Lite Flight case for decent protection if you are intending to take the guitar out a lot

Hi.. you have 90 days from the time of purchase to return to L&M. thats there policy.. if you don't like what you have.. and there should be no restock or anytime of rental charge... btw.. that Gibson case should of been included in your purchase .. not a after market case.. ..just remember.. any one else touches the guitar .. you loose your warranty.. only a Gibson warranty tech via L&M..

Thanks for that info, thought it was just 30 days.

So heres the Update:

I went back up to the other location and tried out everything they had on the wall, and came home with a J45tv. The guys and L&M have been nothing but top notch with me, haven't seen customer service like this in a long time. Very pleased with them. The TV seems more touch sensitive than the Standard and with a brighter top end, I tried one previous and didn't really appreciate it or understand it. Love the guitar but will be taking it back for a replacement due to build quality once a full session with it was complete. Hoping the previous one I tried is still available.

Thanks again for everyones input, much appreciated.

So heres the Update:

I went back up to the other location and tried out everything they had on the wall, and came home with a J45tv. The guys and L&M have been nothing but top notch with me, haven't seen customer service like this in a long time. Very pleased with them. The TV seems more touch sensitive than the Standard and with a brighter top end, I tried one previous and didn't really appreciate it or understand it. Love the guitar but will be taking it back for a replacement due to build quality once a full session with it was complete. Hoping the previous one I tried is still available.

Thanks again for everyones input, much appreciated.

Tough to see with the wax on the nut but their is lumber missing from under the Low E nut on the headstock portion, small but enough for a nail to fit under it.

Archived