Gibson Brands Forums

Post Your Ride

daveinspain

V. Sweet Harleys, chaps!

[thumbup]

Nothing quite so powerful down my way.

This is my 1976 Holdsworth Professional / Campagnolo Record Strada road bike which I built up over the course of late '76 to late '77.

I was still in High School and received the frame as a Xmas present. The bike was built it up component by component as and when I could afford to buy anything;

1976HoldsorthProcomp_zpsddc0d8d1.jpg

Back in the day I used to be in 3 race clubs and a touring club and covered around 15,000 miles a year on the thing but I don't get out on it much these days. The accompanying blurb (from Norman Kilgariff's excellent website for the marque) gives you a rough idea why. The (UK domestic) Holdsworth Campag. team were almost invincible during this era of British Road Racing and even riders of that calibre found it to be too 'twitchy'.

If I don't give it my full attention it can certainly scare the Hell out of me...

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

V. Sweet Harleys, chaps!

[thumbup]

Nothing quite so powerful down my way.

This is my 1976 Holdsworth Professional / Campagnolo Record Strada road bike which I built up over the course of late '76 to late '77.

I got the frame as a Xmas present and built it up component by component as and when I could afford to buy anything;

1976HoldsorthProcomp_zpsddc0d8d1.jpg

Back in the day I used to be in 3 race clubs and a touring club and covered around 15,000 miles a year on the thing but I don't get out on it much these days. The accompanying blurb (from Norman Kilgariff's excellent website for the marque) gives you a rough idea why. The (UK domestic) Holdsworth Campag. team were almost invincible during this era of British Road Racing and even riders of that calibre found it to be too 'twitchy'.

If I don't give it my full attention it can certainly scare the Hell out of me...

Pip.

The caster angle does look a little steep and I know nothing about bycicles at all. It could be addressed by curving the forks a little more I should think?

I got one of these.. A 206 Quicksilver meaning body coloured bumpers, nice wheels, quicksilver interior, A/C, automatic windows, lights and wipers. 1.6 engine (and its quite shifty)....

While its nowt special, ive had it from new since 2003(my first and only new car ever) and its never broken down (touch wood), always starts first time and is a pretty nice ride... Never had to replace anything worse than the exhaust...... The worst thing about it is it has the worst turning circle ive ever seen on a car, youd think it was a van when you try and do a 3 point turn :) apart from that I love that little thing.

(this isn't my one but it looks exactly the same)

Peugeot_206_Quicksilver_90_zpsy0k6bzdj.jpg

The caster angle does look a little steep and I know nothing about bicycles at all. It could be addressed by curving the forks a little more I should think?

[scared].................................Heretic!!!...................................................Nail Him Up ! ! !

That would be akin to buying an all-original '54 Strat and replacing the p'ups with EMGs..............[laugh]

You are correct about the caster angle / fork rake being steeper / shorter than is usual. It was reduced to 1 1/4" for the '76 frames whilst the main triangle changed to 75 degrees from 74. The rear triangle was also adjusted with the seat & chain stays being shortened to reduce the wheelbase - presumably to balance-out the changes at the front-end. The bottom-bracket height was also heightened at the same time.

The thing is no other bike I've ever ridden has been anywhere near as exciting to tool along the road. It's as frisky as a squirrel on speed.

I've owned quite a few decent bikes over the years (and still have an Alan Shorter / Campag. combi as a 'spare') but they've all been very 'normal' in comparison. The Pro is anything but 'normal'; It's good for anything up to a fast 50 miles but for any longer distance it was - for me - too draining as far as the necessary concentration was concerned. For long tours I had an old Flying Scot. Much More Relaxing...

Pip.

Here's my new car, which I picked up on Christmas Eve. I had to replace my 8 year old BMW with a Mini as the BMW was costing me a lot of money as it had become unreliable.

Mini%20No%20Reg.jpg

And my Morgan LeMans62, which is not very good for carrying Guitars & Amps:

Boxing%20Day%202004%20No%20Reg.jpg

Ian

And my Morgan LeMans62, which is not very good for carrying Guitars & Amps:

Boxing%20Day%202004%20No%20Reg.jpg

Ian

OMG, that is a gorgeous Morgan. I've had a number of MGTDs, looking for that look... Now driving a good deal I got on a used 3.6L black Caddie CTS. [smile]

Yes, I love my Morgan but it's the most impractical car in the world, no boot (trunk) or luggage space at all but for a small shelf behind the seats! just enough room for a pair of tooth brushes. It's just a toy really.

Ian

GregatYBNATS.jpg

Our 1972 Chevy Nova. Small Block 355 engine, stock rods, pistons and crank. Goes 10.90's in the quarter. She's currently hibernating for the winter and we need to freshen up the converter and put the transmission back in. Also have to hook up the Nitrous, which should send us into the high 9's with a conservative jetting. Took us 7 years to build her. She was a hot mess when we got her. I bought parts for the car for my husband for pretty much every holiday for 7 years. Who needs an Easter basket when you can have an Easter Quarter Panel? :rolleyes:

Hello!

That's very nice Rosemarie! I have built a couple of Pro Street-style cars back in the days for others. Unfortunately, I could never make one for myself. As we say here: a barefoot shoemaker...that's what I am.

Still riding my 1997 Dodge Avenger ES Sport. I doubt that Rabs really knows what a horrible turning circle is. He should try my car before complaining. ;)

There's also a 50s Csepel Tihany bicycle in my garage waiting for restoration. It's only for display, though. Riding such a bike here, is a quick route to jail, as it's front badge is decorated with a forbidden symbol of a past regime. :D

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

That's very nice Rosemarie! I have built a couple of Pro Street-style cars back in the days for others. Unfortunately, I could never make one for myself. As we say here: a barefoot shoemaker...that's what I am.

Still riding my 1997 Dodge Avenger ES Sport. I doubt that Rabs really knows what a horrible turning circle is. He should try my car before complaining. ;)

There's also a 50s Csepel Tihany bicycle in my garage waiting for restoration. It's only for display, though. Riding such a bike here, is a quick route to jail, as it's front badge is decorated with a forbidden symbol of a past regime. :D

Cheers... Bence

Thanks! :)

We are behind on the converter and nitrous because the house keeps eating our money. Also, my husband has been busy at work and with the occasional side job. We mainly want to do the converter so we can get it ready for spring, the Nitrous can wait since some of the lines and fittings we need to run it are a bit pricey.

We know what you mean, though, our everyday vehicle needs some TLC, but work gets in the way. :)

This sort of ride must not be missing when it's about musicians' rides [biggrin]

Admittedly, the Paiste 2002 series 20" ride cymbal pictured below is not mine but belongs to my drumming bandmate. I usually borrow his entire drum set when I'm on stage with the cover band where I'm the drummer. It has a classy sound and outlasted over hundred string sets so far, and I guess it will survive some hundreds more :)

IMG_1600_zpsdski6cda.jpg

This one is mine, a 2007 Ford C-MAX 2.0 TDCI Style, partly covered with snow today:

IMG_1603_zpspqzi9znx.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

This sort of ride must not be missing when it's about musicians' rides [biggrin]

Admittedly, the Paiste 2002 series 20" ride cymbal pictured below is not mine but belongs to my drumming bandmate. I usually borrow his entire drum set when I'm on stage with the cover band where I'm the drummer. It has a classy sound and outlasted over hundred string sets so far, and I guess it will survive some hundreds more :)

IMG_1600_zpsdski6cda.jpg

This one is mine, a 2007 Ford C-MAX 2.0 TDCI Style, partly covered with snow today:

You seem to be suggesting that drummers are musicians?!?

Harrrrrunph!

I've been busy lately completing the motorcycle stable, I'm not sure if you've seen these or not.

In addition to the 3 Buells, I've added 3 Triumph Triples.

First is the Yellow Banana (02 Sprint RS)

sargent%20001_zpsgdksy17f.jpg

then I ran into Yonkers, NY on Christmas eve to pick up this 06 Tiger which is a gigantic rolling couch of a bike

tiger1_zpswhilf6j5.jpg

and then yesterday I did a marathon run into Pittsburgh to pick up this rocket ship, a 2006 Sprint ST.

rs_zpsdphydeey.jpg

Archived