Gibson Brands Forums

Post Your Ride

daveinspain

I just picked up a new Toy Yoda a few months back. This is what we get in North America instead of the Hilux that's sold everywhere else. I had to special order the thing to get a manual transmission, which would be the norm in the rest of the world. Almost everything is automatic here in the US now.

IMG_20151014_175850_zpsas9jfoed.jpg

... I had to special order the thing to get a manual transmission, which would be the norm in the rest of the world. Almost everything is automatic here in the US now.

In Europe, yes, unfortunately. Way behind the US technologically.

Bence.

In Europe, yes, unfortunately. Way behind the US technologically.

Bence.

Since decades lots of European cars are available with automatic transmission as an option, but these don't sell well here. Presently dual-clutch transmissions have a certain success here. They are very advanced basically but rather costly in every respect, purchase, fuel consumption, and maintenance.

Both the biggest advantage and biggest shortcoming of automatic transmissions reveal in stop-and-go traffic: They can make driving more comfortable but will badly increase fuel consumption. Anyway, I once drove a car with automatic transmission for nineteen days during a holiday in Canada. I found it hard for my back to keep on pressing the brake pedal for a while, and so I switched to neutral and used the hand brake - like in a car with a manual gear. This is saving fuel, too, but then, what do I need an automatic transmission for?

Hello Capmaster!

I just push it into Neutral at traffic ligths - that's it.

I hate rowing in a car, so I prefer the automatic. To my experience, people in Europe doesn't like it because most of them never tried it. Many of my friends were saying, it's a crap, it's not sporty, it is lazy and so on. I asked them did they ever ride a car with it. No, they never did. After driving mine (or beating beaten by me in a drag race), most of them drives an automatic now.

The old Dodge I still drive, and which probably will tow my casket to the hole, - at the last measuring - showed 11.5L/100 km consumption. This is absolutely not bad from a 2.5L, nearly 20 years old, heavy car.

Cheers... Bence

Over the years I drove various automatic cars regularly, owned by employers or relatives. The only sort of automatic transmission which convinced me is the CVT (continuously variable transmission). The official version is that they vanished since exhaust aftertreatment and active driving assistance systems cause troubles with digital mapping. However, I believe the very reason is cutting costs.

Here are some old poor images of two of my rides...

The Guzzi is gone but the '61 Studebaker I still have. I also have a 1970 Triumph GT-6+ that needs, well, everything. More Garage art than car at the moment. That was my daily driver for almost 4 years. I have to get that going again.

My main ride is a 2012 BMW R1200RT right now. I have had guitars and amps on it! It's kinda pain in the a$$ but riding and guitars are my thing! [cool]

70f6cf86-66a8-409f-a534-1539abc63fca.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

This is one of our other long term projects, 59 Chevy Apache Stepside. We are in the decision making phase for it right now. Trying to decide whether or not to keep the straight 6 or put a V8 in it and trying to decide whether to go Rat Rod or Resto.

IMG_85483634003100.jpeg

This is one of our former cars, a 63.5 Ford Falcon. Has the same motor and trans (TH350) that the Nova has - we sold it as a roller.

IMG_20140320_234827_010.jpg

Since decades lots of European cars are available with automatic transmission as an option, but these don't sell well here. Presently dual-clutch transmissions have a certain success here. They are very advanced basically but rather costly in every respect, purchase, fuel consumption, and maintenance.

Both the biggest advantage and biggest shortcoming of automatic transmissions reveal in stop-and-go traffic: They can make driving more comfortable but will badly increase fuel consumption. Anyway, I once drove a car with automatic transmission for nineteen days during a holiday in Canada. I found it hard for my back to keep on pressing the brake pedal for a while, and so I switched to neutral and used the hand brake - like in a car with a manual gear. This is saving fuel, too, but then, what do I need an automatic transmission for?

Manual transmissions only account for 5% of new vehicle sales in the US now. I had to order my truck from the factory and wait for weeks while it was built and shipped. I'll drive a manual until I can't get one here anymore. I like that even rental cars in Europe are manual, although shifting with my left hand in Scotland was a bit hard to get used to!

Archived