Gibson Brands Forums

Studio build (new)

thejay

Hey guys, been a bit absent for the last few weeks but with good reason. Doing some remodeling in the house and ended up moving my studio to the basement. What that ended up meaning was a brand new build; completely DIY. I started on Dec 5th installing some Roxul Safe n Sound in the existing ceiling (floor joists) and moved in on 1/1/16. House was built in the 50s so the insulation is terrible; voices carry through the entire house so naturally the basement was a concern but the more I thought about it (and read) I felt confident I could do it. Double walled, double doored, mass loaded vinyl in 3 of the 5 interior (ceiling being one as the main family room is right above me), OSI caulk (soundproofing caulk), putty around all outlets, 3 breakers for the room today (less RF interface), Primacoustic reflective panels, couple of GIbson's at the end :D (of course). Anyway... let some of the pictures do the talking but I will tell you what, I am real proud of this one. The other walls in the basement you will see I also built etc otherwise it was a block wall which you will see in the pictures but this is the first 'room' I had ever built (walls and ceiling). Lots to learn and had fun doing so... my wife helped with the spackling and my father-in-love hanging the doors other than that I spent a few saturdays (all day) and some 4-5 hr nights after work a few times a week to complete it as quick as I did.

IMG_5336_zpsbzlexqtq.jpg

IMG_5340_zpsaamdsgi7.jpg

IMG_5342_zpselyiovaq.jpg

IMG_5351_zpstlxnsvlx.jpg

IMG_5373_zpslc9k2haz.jpg

IMG_5380_zpsuk6xmlel.jpg

IMG_5389_zpsbmixitdl.jpg

IMG_5401_zpsykqgv8t1.jpg

IMG_5407_zpsw5pkzlyz.jpg

IMG_5472_zpsgggxo9f6.jpg

IMG_5371_zpsspegfxpr.jpg

IMG_5447_zpsv7wvhlzv.jpg

IMG_5482_zpspbixsal1.jpg

IMG_5494_zpszwqs5iok.jpg

IMG_5496_zpshnime6jf.jpg

IMG_5499_zpsrfqcr7lu.jpg

IMG_5511_zpsl2edlbsq.jpg

You may ask yourself, 'How well did it work soundproofing?'

Well running one of the 100w beasts via the OB212 it is freaking loud set at about noon (to me that is gig volume or slightly above gig volume depending on the size).... you can obviously hear a guitar playing in the room. Just outside the doors is the largest sound escape; I plan on making something for in-between the doors though I highly doubt I will be playing that loud in the room anyway; it reached 104 on my db reader. There is a def 'whoosh' of air closes the doors so I get the air moving right just looking to possibly seal it a little better. On the other side of the door it peaked at 70, I believe a 'quiet' house is 50-55db and normal conversation is 60db. Around the corner you hear residual sound from the direction of the door but it is much less and hits the high 50s range! Upstairs above the room it was the same!

Playing music on the monitors is slightly a different story; I run two sets now (one with a sub, one without). The one with the sub, the bass def thumps in the room cranked up and you can hear it on the other side more than any other frequency but the results are the same as far as db readings.

The results to me are outstanding for my first attempt at this, I am very pleased. I can come in and make noise and not bother my family (and can record local bands now if I would want to which is actually pretty cool!). My bands current record we have all but one song completed which I have recorded in my prior space but will finish it here.

I was playing last night night with the volume on 10-11 o clock on the MKIII clean, my wife said she couldn't even tell I was playing until she opened the exterior door. :D

Great Job man!

Eriely similar to the famous Studio One for the Motown Label when it was in the basement of an old 50's house in Detroit. Countless producers and sound engineers have tried to duplicate recording spaces to achieve the tonality of that room, some better than others.

It appears that you are like me. When it comes to recording, **** modeling software. Plug me into an amp, and I'll figure out the rest. Drums are the thoughest, although on Zepplin 4, John Bohnam recorded all the drums at the bottom of a winding stairwell which created a titanic sound and tonnes of natural reverb. Listen to "When the Levee Breaks" and with the drum intro its really appearent. That's not mic and soundboard tricks, that's what it sounded like.

Anyway, I admire your work ethic to get the job done. That's me. Let the wife unpack the boxes, Im figuring out where to put the studio, I'll see ya in a week when I'm finished.

Wow. That is sooo cool!

A couple of questions -

1) So the walls are not anchored to the slab? They're just sitting on that flooring pad stuff?

2) And around the windows - Do you just kind of box around the windows without tying into the walls?

[thumbup] [thumbup]

Its good to see the pictures of your construction.

I plan to soundproof a room this year. In my case though, its to keep noise out.

Really nice job you made there.

Thanks! It does a superb job keeping the noise out as well as in [biggrin] Good luck on your build!

Wow. That is sooo cool!

A couple of questions -

1) So the walls are not anchored to the slab? They're just sitting on that flooring pad stuff?

2) And around the windows - Do you just kind of box around the windows without tying into the walls?

[thumbup] [thumbup]

Thank you!

The walls are attached to the slab (both sets).

I had one window I had to work with in the room though that sewer line (pipe in the picture) proved to be a challenge all on its own. The outside wall (cement block) where the window is located is connected by a piece of 1/4" paneling I used to finish the inside of the window. Panels were left over from another project in the basement, recycling [thumbup] Technically they are not to connect but I had no choice. There is mass loaded vinyl, foam and insulation around the window as well. The room actually stays quite warm, I did install a baseboard heater just incase, but I have not had to use it at all.

the studio is cool, good for you that you've got it like that! [thumbup]

i did also notice in the last pic, you seem to have excellent taste in amps. i was droolin

Thank you. I have worked my way to Orange's as of last year. I really enjoy their sound and simplicity. Former Mesa addict so Orange is refreshing. A whole lot less tweaking!

Might get very hot in there during summer with the amps and everything on!

Shouldn't be that bad in the basement. I think most players will appreciate recording there to escape from a hot summer's day. :)

Archived