Gibson Brands Forums

What should Rush do next?

rocketman

We all knew that their last tour would be their last major tour. There was a rumor that Neil was not going to do anything else, not even another album. But he thankfully laid that rumor to rest. The boys are taking a well deserved break to figure out things. Alex and Geddy stated that they would love to tour, but they certainly understand that Neil's body has taken a beating. So I doubt that they would ever do a major tour again.

Rush is a band that won't go away though. In fact they are probably more popular now then they've ever been. How many bands still put out new material and sell out arenas like they've done for 40 years together? Not many at all.

I would love to have them do an album with Terry Brown back as their producer. They parted ways because of "differences in musical direction" after Signals. In retrospect that was probably not a good idea. From what I understand Terry hated the mix of that album. Alex also did (he said that he tried to turn up the guitars on it while nobody was listening). This website states "But it wasn't just that. Alex, Geddy, and Neil have also said they just wanted to undergo shock therapy to ward off complacency."

I like Nick Raskulinecz a lot. He's got great talent, but I think he's too much of a Rush fan to be their producer. I love Clockwork Angels, which I think is one of their best albums in years from a material perspective. When they first released Caravan and BU2B, I liked the heavy bass sound. But then it was "mellowed" on the album. Here's the first release version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hbPbE84OZI

You can really here it at 4:12. This bass has that "in-your-face" meaty sound that you hear on tunes like Cygnus X-1. Here is the album version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0ikbGvIY0

The lick is now at 4:13. It's been softened up and a flanger was added. I don't know who decided to do that but I HATE it. Terry Brown would never do that. The new "shock therapy" would be to bring Terry back. I would also like to hear a more clean guitar, like in their early albums. Alex is a great "clean" player with his picking, but I think his sound is too distorted these days. I guess he fought with Peter Collins, who wanted less reverb on Counterparts. Peter won that "battle," which I think is their best produced album since Moving Pictures.

I know this will be met with some skepticism, but here's what I think would be great tonic for this band, given their overall physical and emotional health.

An album of covers.

A tribute album features songs by the bands that Neil, Alex, and Geddy enjoyed growing up, and who influenced their musical formations.

Def Leppard did it in 2006 with the album Yeah!, and of course Metallica issued the cover album Garage, Inc in 1998.

No pressure on the band as songwriters, no special challenges for Neil on drums, just a fun trip to the studio to have a blast and give a nod to their influences.

:)

I know this will be met with some skepticism,

Well if they don't like what you said they sure as hell won't like what I say. lol

To be honest I don't really care what anybody does next. If I like it I will listen to it.

The last Rush album I liked was Hemispheres.

I was huge Rush fan back in the day. And I still really like them I just haven't kept up with them.

I'm really diggin some new bands(new to me).

Lately I learned about The Temperance Movement and have really gotten into them.

And a couple of Canadian bands, The Standstills are pretty good, and July Talk is fakking awesome.

Lately I learned about The Temperance Movement and have really gotten into them.

The Temperance Movement made a really good record. [thumbup] I haven't seen them live, but a friend of mine said they bring it.

Very much not Rush, however. [biggrin] Like you I kinda quit listening to new Rush some time ago. But I have to admit, every time Rocketman posts a track it sounds pretty much like Rush! [thumbup]

Just going on Alex's age(62) and his home (one of them) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/architecture/take-a-tour-of-rush-guitarist-alex-lifesons-country-home/article13545914/. They should retire and do philanthropic work or help and mentor young musicians.

I can't understand having all that money and not wanting to step back and enjoy it. Narcissism?

I've been on the bus with this band since the earliest of their days. They've done everything they've needed to do, accomplished more than any other trio could have possibly done. to stay relevant after 40 years? No one else has done this, to the extent they have. As much I as I hate to admit it, all things, sadly, come to an end. The road has take it's toll on Neil and Alex (Geddy seems impervious to affects of time)

I guess it's a matter of going out while you're still on the top of your game, verses kicking the dog until it can't wag it's tail anymore. IMHO, for the best interest of the guys who are RUSH, I think it's probably time.

When bands get to a certain level of legacy, it is almost a waste to record a new record. Ozzy Osbourne said it right I think when they announced their coming North American tour this year. He said, no one wants to hear a new Sabbath Record. They want to rock out and sing along with all the tunes.

I think it's much the same for Rush. I know that as creative as the guys are, it may be difficult, and if they want to work a few new numbers into the set, that's cool, but as for me, I am going to see Rush do the stuff that I love from Rush.

Like you I kinda quit listening to new Rush some time ago. But I have to admit, every time Rocketman posts a track it sounds pretty much like Rush!

All my stuff is in 4/4 time. I can't figure out how to change times on Cubase yet! [biggrin]

I just think they should take their time deciding what to do. Really, there's no...........wait for it................wait for it................

RUSH \:D/

From what I understand they where in a rush to get their first album and tour going, and they couldn't decide on a band name. I think it was Rutsey's brother who said "why not just call yourself Rush?"

Neil has serious tendonitis problems, and he also has a young child. So a major tour will never happen. I'll agree that their earlier music is much more popular than their later stuff. I can play almost every one of their tunes up to the album Signals. After that I didn't get into learning every tune note for note. Alex still put out some amazing solos though, like Kid Gloves and Cut to the Chase. But with Clockwork Angels it's been different for me because the album is a mixture of old and new. Headlong Flight could have been on something you'd hear on the Fly by Night album. Getting Terry Brown back on another album may be the second coming of 2112.

Just going on Alex's age(62) and his home (one of them) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/architecture/take-a-tour-of-rush-guitarist-alex-lifesons-country-home/article13545914/. They should retire and do philanthropic work or help and mentor young musicians.

I can't understand having all that money and not wanting to step back and enjoy it. Narcissism?

They've been doing a ton of charity work for a long time now, but they are pretty private about it. They are huge role models because they've lived a clean life (outside of Alex's 2003 New Year's incident). Gene Simmon's said it best. He said that every band they toured with would party like crazy with them. But not Rush. These guys would just go back to their hotel rooms and read books! Plus they are still humble to this day. Alex hates it when people tell him he's one of the best (EVH gave him that compliment many years ago). It was only a few years ago that Neil finally could accept that that he is a true drum idol, and started opening up about it. Geddy has been practicing on a 6 string to expand his playing abilities. Even at their age they don't think they are good enough. I think a lot of young musicians (and athletes!) can learn a lot from these guys.

For me, I'm classically trained pianist. I love all kinds of music. On piano I stick to classical and jazz. But on guitar I try to play everything. For example, I'm still dissecting Joe Pass' material note for note, which will be an endless project. Jerry Reed is another player I'm struggling through right now (holy smokes could he play!). When I started playing rock gigs, I got bored pretty quickly playing the classic tunes everyone wanted to hear. We all did. So we'd play 5-8 Rush tunes just for us. Most of the time people loved it. I couldn't believe that people actually danced to YYZ when we played it!

Hearing how they grew up, and did everything the hard way molded who I am now. I know I would not be an Aerospace Engineering Ph.D. without music. Rush was a big part of that. I also try to keep my ego in check, which is not easy to do in my line of work. Whenever someone "feeds" my ego I just try to laugh it off because the first thing that pops in my head is "what would Rush do?" So these guys have done way more than a lot of musicians, simply by how they lived and continue to live, in addition to their charity work.

All my stuff is in 4/4 time. I can't figure out how to change times on Cubase yet! [biggrin]

Well, I meant that the only modern Rush I'd listened to were tracks by them that you had posted. [biggrin] But it would take more than Cubase to help me understand anything other than 4/4! #-o

Well, I meant that the only modern Rush I'd listened to were tracks by them that you had posted. [biggrin] But it would take more than Cubase to help me understand anything other than 4/4! #-o

Ha ha ha! Greek music is even more fun. It's mostly in 7/8.

To my guess there are many more non-materialistic aspects besides narcissism which are far more important for open-minded, creative artists. I think that Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart are just that.

I just think they should take their time deciding what to do. Really, there's no...........wait for it................wait for it................

[lol] [lol] [lol]

[laugh]

Lifeson, Lee and Peart hightail it out of a bar

Barman says, 'Hey! No Rush!'

Honestly though... They should do what ever the hell they want.

Can't say it better than that.

So long as a record sells enough to pay for itself, does it really matter if it does as well as others? When did this "rule" come into effect that if you once sold out stadiums, you couldn't be doing good playing in clubs again? And why does a record have to be better than the last to still be good?

In Rush's case, at least as much as ANY band, I think they have earned the right to do pretty much any of what they want to do. There would be no way on God's green earth they should be faulted for anything they might do.

How did the band make so many albums so fast? They RUSH

How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb? 21 - one to change the bulb and 20 to say that Neil Peart would have done it better.

I agree they've earned the right to do whatever they want. They actually earned that right after 2112 came out. They were never questioned by anyone after they decided to put out that album in response to write more "hits" or they'd be out.

But as a fan, I hope they put out albums until they can't anymore. Just sayin'

Archived