Gibson Brands Forums

A Tele on Craigslist...

Tim Plains

Guys, what do you make of this?

1983 FENDER FULLERTON 1952 TELECASTER REISSUE

Think it's a scam?

In case the link doesn't work:

I have a near mint 1983 Fullerton 1952 Reissue on the auction block. The guitar is 100% original with minor playwear in line with a closet classic. No checking, no repairs. Comes with Original Case...Metal Bridge Cover, Original Strap, Original Cord, Original Vintage Pick. Second year Reissue from the original Fullerton factory...made with many of the same tools as the original 52's...some say its among the top RI because of this old school tooling. These guitars are becoming increasingly more desireable. Neck Dates 9/16/83, pots to 1982/83. Neck Pocket is tight, thinner frets with a ton of life, great neck with nice comfortable C feel. Pickups scream vintage voicing....handles distortion, blues and clean channels really effectively....handles rock music well....knobs roll off really well creating lots of versatility. These guitars are appreciating very rapidly and goes way beyond a standard american tele. Other sellers on ebay and dealers have these pieces 4500 all the way up to 6000! Get yours here with NO RESERVE!!!

Please check out the HIGH DEF PICTURES and VIDEO below for a full and very in depth description of this piece. I understand it is difficult to buy a guitar online, I aim to take all the guess work out of it. Please ask all questions you may have and don't be afraid to request other pictures or information.

3282dkk_20.jpg

1749jc4_20.jpg

583456b_20.jpg

7116hn8_20.jpg

I know I said I didn't want a '52RI anymore but a 25 year old guitar for $800 seems like a steal!

Oh, this has scam written all over it. The seller already wrote me back...what laptop?

Hello,

Unfortunately, I am not able to use the phone, as I'm wearing a hearing device (sound signal amp) as a result of a car crash I've experienced a couple of months ago, so let's keep it this way (contact via e-mail). The laptop is in perfect shape. NO ACCIDENTS. NO DENTS. NO

SCRATCHES.NO CRACKS. NO DAMAGE.

If you are interested we will make the deal with a safe method

for both of us. If you are interested about the item please contact me for explain you how we can start the transaction.

Thank you for your prompt response and I am looking forward to

hearing from you.

Best regards!

The guitar looks real enough, including the case candy. I just compared it with my 52 RI and the only difference, except for the finish on this guitar which is less orange (and they tend to vary anyway) is:

- The switch tip isn't the same - mine is barrel shaped

- The knobs are rounded on top where mine are flat with rounded edges

But, mine is a recent model (no idea what year but I bought it new two years ago) so some specs might have changed. Also, mine came with a second bridge with six saddles in case the buyer wants to swap that in.

I don't know what the deal is with the Fullerton stuff but I suppose that could make it more collectible. From a playability standpoint, my recent model is a fine guitar.

All that said, the big red flag for me is that he's hyping up the guitar a lot, even saying "these pieces 4500 all the way up to 6000!" So, why the hell is he looking to sell it for 800 bucks? If you can check it out in person and know enough about these models to verify that it's authentic, it could be the rare deal of a life time but, if you're not sure, I'd pass.

For the sake of comparison (and to show off my guitar), here's pics of my 52 RI:

tele1.jpg

tele2.jpg

tele3.jpg

tele4.jpg

- The knobs are rounded on top where mine are flat with rounded edges

Inspected mine more closely and the knobs on mine are a bit more rounded than I thought but still a little flat on top. As far as I can tell from the pics you posted, they could very well be the same knobs that are on mine.

I smell a scam.

Rich, come on, these guitars are in the thousands now. Look anywhere. I did a bunch of research on these last year. I wanted one real bad because I grew up in Orange County, I visited the Fullerton plant when I was like 19 and applied for a job there. This seems too good to be true.

Hey Tim, if you can afford to dish out the extra $650 for a new 52 Tele, do it. Whether or not this guitar is real, it's used and you don't get a chance to play it beforehand. I know that in some of the older reissues the noisy pickups were REALLY noisy. If you decide to get a 52, find one in a store, and pay the extra money. Don't take a risk.

That's my advice, anyway. Good luck!

By the way, if you don't like the noisy p/us, the American Deluxe Tele is beautiful. There's one at my local Gibson/Fender/everything dealer in "Butterscotch Blonde" (same finish as the 52) that I've been playing quite a bit and it's gorgeous. I don't like the rainbow dot inlays, but other than that it's an amazing guitar.

SRV, I just tried one out not two days ago and didn't like it. $1,500 brand new, taxes in.

Primarily because of the neck pickup, it sounds like a the tone pot (if it had one) was set to -5.

The bridge pickup also had no twang to it. I'm not knocking the guitar, just not what I was expecting in a Tele.

The I preferred the American Standard I tried out a few weeks ago. I'll probably look at one of those or a Deluxe.

I smell a scam.

Rich' date=' come on, these guitars are in the thousands now. Look anywhere. I did a bunch of research on these last year. I wanted one real bad because I grew up in Orange County, I visited the Fullerton plant when I was like 19 and applied for a job there. This seems too good to be true.[/quote']

I smell a scam too, but the economy sucks bad right now so just about anything is possible. Besides, Fullerton or not, 25 years old or not, Fender has been churning out these reissues for years so it's not like they're all that rare.

Other then the MIJ Pink Paisley and the hand made Tele our other guitarist Matt also has a Reissue 52 Tele (I don't know what year). He brought it over one night for practice and I didn't like the sound compared to the others. I will ask him for some pics tomorrow when we practice.

SRV' date=' I just tried one out not two days ago and didn't like it. $1,500 brand new, taxes in.

Primarily because of the neck pickup, it sounds like a the tone pot (if it had one) was set to -5.

The bridge pickup also had no twang to it. I'm not knocking the guitar, just not what I was expecting in a Tele.

The I preferred the American Standard I tried out a few weeks ago. I'll probably look at one of those or a Deluxe.[/quote']

The stock pickup configuration on the 52 RI is:

Bridge / Neck / Neck with treble roll off.

So, if you went to what would normally be just the neck with the pup selector switch, you got the neck with treble roll off. I had mine rewired to modern switching for Bridge / Bridge + Neck / Neck.

I hope it turns out to be real for someone. I graduated high school in '81 and visited Fullerton in '83 right when they were producing these. I would love to own an 82 or 83 '52 RI one day. I have found them to be a couple of thousand to $5,000.

Again, hopefully it's real.

And I like it better. I had no use for the neck with the roll off; the bridge and neck together really sing nicely. My only complaint about the pups is that the neck sounds muddy with any level of overdrive but, then again, Teles were designed to be clean. I've thought about replacing that pup with a Lollar Special T but never "got around to it." I like the bridge pickup as it is - it's cuts like a knife.

SRV' date=' I just tried one out not two days ago and didn't like it. $1,500 brand new, taxes in.

The I preferred the American Standard I tried out a few weeks ago. I'll probably look at one of those or a Deluxe.[/quote']

Yes, the 52 does have a much "mellower" sound than the Standard or Deluxe. The latter is definitely the way to go if you're looking for something with a more aggressive tone. The p/us in the Deluxe will really bark at you when you want them to! Just go with whatever feels right- and post lots of pics. Otherwise you'll be stuck with a unicorn.

Hello,

For the moment I want to sell it only this model. I have another model home but I want to sell this one.For this momemnt I'm not in country. I'm with some business in Europe. But I arrange with a shipping agency to deliver the product right at the home address of the customers.

All you have to do it is to give me your full name and address and I will send it to the agency and they will contact you with all the payment detailes and the shipping.

- to start the official transaction, I need to know your details of shipping so we can start the transaction:

First name:................

Last name:.................

Address:...................

City:......................

Zip:.......................

As soon as I have these information, I'll start the official procedure.

Also, a refund policy will be included.You will have 10 days to test the condition of the item.

I will wait your e-mail ASAP.

Thank you

Looking forward to hearing from you ...

With Best Regards, Yours Sincerely .

I wrote back:

Be honest' date=' do these scams really work?[/quote']

Hahaha... Good one! I have had that exact same letter on a couple of guitars I was looking at.... I wrote back that something really bad was going to happen to him very soon....

Archived