Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar maintenance kit?

ZettaVita

Has anyone found a good quality guitar maintenance kit? At the moment, when I want to change strings or do a setup, I fumble around the garage looking for wire cutters and feeler gauges and where did I put that string winder thingie?

Would be nice to have dedicated tools in a zip-up pouch or something. What do you use?

I don't have everything in one place but over the years I've assembled about everything I need; jewellers' screwdrivers, small cross-head drivers, 3 sizes of pliers, string winder, truss rod hex keys and wrench, etc.

And I don't use feeler gauges or set my guitars up with a certain height at a specific fret; I found I couldn't do it that way. I usually adjust down then bring it up as need be.

Hello!

This is a very good kit: http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/StewMac_Tool_Sets/Guitar_Shop_Starter_Set.html

...not cheap, though. But it gives You an idea what tools You might need during the life of the instrument. Not sure, if purchasing them piece by piece from a local tool shop will be cheaper.

Good luck... Bence

yea,, it's so common to use a tool then put it "somewhere" and have no idea where you put it.

I have a small tool box that I put together with everything I use for regular stuff. so when I do "Stuff"... I just pull that tool box out,

when I'm done, all of it goes back in....

yea,, it's so common to use a tool then put it "somewhere" and have no idea where you put it.

I have a small tool box that I put together with everything I use for regular stuff. so when I do "Stuff"... I just pull that tool box out,

I got one that looks like this, but didnt have the 'Fender' tag on it.

cruztools kit

The tools are good quality, but you could build a kit and buy your own case too.

I have one of those metal tool cabinets with sliding drawers - and some of the drawers are dedicated to guitar tools. Solved my problem. As far as basic bridge pin pulling, string clipping, peg winding though it's hard to beat one of these little Planet Waves jobbies...

1349086160-47620500.jpg

This works for me. I have a dedicated guitar tool box that has everything (and I mean everything) in it that I need to work on my guitars. I may have to fish around the box for a few minutes, but I know that what I need is in there. I've found that you can assemble everyday tools from sources other than StewMac, et al, a lot cheaper. Harbor Freight is a great place for those "I'll only use this once in a blue moon" bype of tools at a reasonable price (i.e. I got digital calipers there for less than $10).

I have one of these cases that I put all my guitar doodads in, picks, clip on tuner, some strings, pliers, screw drivers, ect. There's plenty of room for strings and what ever.

It might be a bit over kill, but it works. Got mine at the Home Depot.

Husky-Technician-Tool-Box.jpg

Archived