Gibson Brands Forums

Need one more guitar, just for open tuning and slide

dc3c46

Got into open tunings lately and finally seriously trying to learn slide.

However I do not want to change tunings on my guitars back and forth.

Any suggestions what to get?

Tele? Which one?

Guess there are quite a few slide players out there who would give me an idea.

Funny this topic just came up. I was thinking about how I play my SG Junior so infrequently and, after listening to my Elmore James CD today, thought that perhaps that guitar might be a prime candidate for setting up and learning to play slide.

"When you first start playing slide, you lose all your friends. Even your mother doesn't like you anymore." - Lee Roy Parnell

I've always wanted a Junior for slide. SGs work pretty well, IMO. Never tried slide on my Tele - harder to raise the action (and then lower it back once I change my mind). I have one of my LPs set up now for slide, but I'm not really sure I like it. I am thinking, like you guys, that I may need to find a guitar just for slide. Maybe something funky with some crazy pickups.

The SG is a great one for slide, there are few that can beat it for meatiness and cut. I have, as previously mentioned, used a Danelectro for slide as well, and a Junior. But I bought a spare Epi SG just to have slightly higher action, heavier strings and the occasional open-E or -D tuning (of course I play as much slide in standard tuning as open though), and that's the route that worked for me best. Tele's are AWESOME for open tunings, but no Tele I've ever owned has liked slide all that much (I love having one around for open-G "Keef" tuning though!).

H-Bomb

I'll second the Danelectro suggestion. I have four and they're great guitars for slide or when you want a sound unlike any of your other guitars. It's not a Gibson, it's not a Fender...

Here's my rack from one of my last gigs...

rack.jpg

The fourth one back is my Dano Pro. For a couple hundred bucks it makes a pretty cool slide guitar and because of the semi-hollow body, it's a nice little guitar to leave laying around since you can play it unplugged. Plus, because of the shape it doesn't need a stand. Here's a better shot of one...

dano_pro_black.jpg

If the shape is a little too far out for you, there's also the Dano '63...

Danelectro-Dano-63-Guitar-Red-3.jpg

or the '59 DC...

dc59.jpg

I'll second the Danelectro suggestion. I have four and they're great guitars for slide or when you want a sound unlike any of your other guitars. It's not a Gibson' date=' it's not a Fender...

Here's my rack from one of my last gigs...

[img']http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/2manyGuitars/misc/rack.jpg[/img]

...damn Junkie... nice rack! is that a 339? looks smaller that I thought, looks great, how does it play?

...damn Junkie... nice rack! is that a 339? looks smaller that I thought' date=' looks great, how does it play?

[/quote']

It's been awhile since another dude complimented me on my rack. yay2.gif

The angle of the photo might be deceiving, but the 339 is about the same size as a Les Paul. As far as how it plays? Put it this way, during the gig I have to force myself to put it down so my other guitars get used. It covers all the bases from clean to dirty and blues to rock. It's a great size, well balanced and a comfortable shape.

I have my tele set up to play slide. I just simply raised the action up a bit and it works great. I was a bit disapointed in the stock pickups, so i replaced the bridge with a Seymour Duncan Hotrails and I love it. I ussually tune it to open A flat, or open E flat.

If I had the money I would get an SG to play slide on. I've jammed on a few and it's really easy to get to the higher frets, and even find those higher pitches above the frets.

Go to a used music store and try to find yourself an old 60s beater electric, with high action on the cheap, Teisco is perfect for this, great slide players like Ry Cooder and Hound Dog Taylor used them for just that. For some reason cheap old guitars with single coils are always gonna give you exactly that electric slide, the Dano is a great suggestion too

It's been awhile since another dude complimented me on my rack. yay2.gif

The angle of the photo might be deceiving' date=' but the 339 is about the same size as a Les Paul. As far as how it plays? Put it this way, during the gig I have to force myself to put it down so my other guitars get used. It covers all the bases from clean to dirty and blues to rock. It's a great size, well balanced and a comfortable shape.[/quote']

I have a good friend who brought over his 1959 ES 339 a few months ago. I looked up the value in the Vintage Guitar Price Book. It was $40,000. His is the cherry finish and dual block inlays and had dual humbuckers (all three of these things were not the norm). I played it for well over an hour. Great guitar. If I can get him to bring it back I'll get some picks.

Archived