Gibson Brands Forums

Gary Moore's Les Paul

jdgm

Goodness knows what they'll ask for a new one ! [mellow]

I just can't understand that sort of price. Even if I had no shortage of money the guitar wouldn't interest me at such a silly price. I note there are more than 300 "watchers" all presumably watching to see if it sells. Nothing better to do.

...Even if I had no shortage of money the guitar wouldn't interest me at such a silly price...

In all honesty if I had no shortage of money I'd be posting a NGD thread instead of typing this...

Silly money for a guitar, of course, but I suppose I've been around the world of antiques and antiquities too long. It was inevitable that some portion of the raison d'etre would have rubbed-off on me.

"After Hours" is my second-favourite GM album and I've loved the front and rear cover shots (which features this very guitar) ever since I first clapped-eyes on the record.

And the exchange rate means that, taking into consideration it's provenance/history, it isn't even all that ludicrous when converted to Sterling. Crazy-money?, yes; but Ludicrous-money? Not really.

First thing I'd do (after the NGD thread, it goes without saying) would be to have the neck shaved to a '60s profile....

Pip.

You'd be welcome to it Pippy.

I wondered whether my anti-feeling is coloured by the fact that I am not keen on Gary Moore (never have been) but I don't think so. Of all the "ancient" Les Paul's out there I suppose I would hanker after Bloomfield's the most. But then I wouldn't fancy the big crack in it.

First thing I'd do (after the NGD thread, it goes without saying) would be to have the neck shaved to a '60s profile....

Pip.

At least I think I wouldn't have to have a bad conscience if I had the neck just refinished. :)

...Of all the "ancient" Les Paul's out there I suppose I would hanker after Bloomfield's the most. But then I wouldn't fancy the big crack in it...

In which case you are a fortunate man, Pin, because you don't really desire Bloomfield's guitar. For a collector the split south of the t'p is one of the defining features of the guitar 'artefact'.

Without wishing to go too far off-topic...

Famously the ex-PG GM '59 sold to Melvyn Franks for a reputed £2m.

As an 'artefact' (IMHO) it's the bee's knees. Page's #1? Nah. "Pearly"? Nah. The "Beano".....hmmmm......yyeeesss......but.......

As a guitar?

Peter Green said it was a Be-itch to play. GM said something along the lines that it was a challenge to play but that he liked to have a bit of a fight with his guitars.

One of my friends (who happens to own a second-run '52 Gold-top) knew GM back then and had played it a few times just after GM got it from PG and also quite recently just before it was sold to Kirk Hammett. He also said it was not a great player. "Crap" was his verdict.

But as an Artefact?

How great a panting, REALLY, is the 'Mona Lisa'?

Jacson Pollock's No. whatever?

Any Rothko you care to mention? .

If I want to play a guitar I'm more than happy with my lot in life.

The GM '58? I'd seriously get a real kick out of dragging it along to the local Open Mic....

Pip.

Ah, so this was the LP gifted from Peter Green!

Now I am much more an admirer of PG, and I do have Gary's 'Blues For Greeny' where he uses it of course.

I still wouldn't buy that guitar at a sensible price. Though I would love to try it out for half an hour.

I understand what it is to enjoy playing a difficult guitar though. A pal of mine has a cheap LP copy which he fret dressed and set up perfectly. Its easily the lowest action, most effortless guitar I've ever handled. But its too damned easy, nothing to fight against when bending those strings etc.

Ah, so this was the LP gifted from Peter Green!

Now I am much more an admirer of PG, and I do have Gary's 'Blues For Greeny' where he uses it of course.

I still wouldn't buy that guitar at a sensible price. Though I would love to try it out for half an hour.

I understand what it is to enjoy playing a difficult guitar though. A pal of mine has a cheap LP copy which he fret dressed and set up perfectly. Its easily the lowest action, most effortless guitar I've ever handled. But its too damned easy, nothing to fight against when bending those strings etc.

Not quite, my friend. That Les Paul is a '59, and passed from Peter Green, to Gary Moore, to a few private collectors, and then to Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett, who bought it in 2014 for about $2 million. That Les Paul is also a bit more of a Dirty Lemon Burst finish, now.

peter-green-LP-main2.jpg

How great a panting, REALLY, is the 'Mona Lisa'?

[/b][/i]If I want to play a guitar I'm more than happy with my lot in life.

The GM '58? I'd seriously get a real kick out of dragging it along to the local Open Mic....

Pip.

Interesting question that. I remember the late Kenneth Clarke (I think it was in his Civilisation TV series) talking about Da Vinci's Mona Lisa. As I recall Clarke said that to really appreciate it you have to view the original (which, of course, very few people actually get to see) in the flesh. Clarke said that it was "perfection".

No, you are right - I am not a collector of guitars although could easily end up owning a ridiculous amount of them if I had pots on money. But your point about getting a real kick out of playing it in public is the real killer. I'd be terrified of taking it out of the house for fear of theft or just slipping over and smashing it up.

Not quite, my friend. That Les Paul is a '59, and passed from Peter Green, to Gary Moore, to a few private collectors, and then to Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett, who bought it in 2014 for about $2 million. That Les Paul is also a bit more of a Dirty Lemon Burst finish, now.

peter-green-LP-main2.jpg

aH... thanks Pesh. I scanned the text too quickly methinks!

Hmmm.

It will go to a collector but for how much?

I think in £££(GBP).

How much is a 1958 Standard worth?

Add the G.M provenance...and state of the guitar market right now.

I would say well above £70k but below £132k.

What say you?

:-k :-k

Archived