Gibson Brands Forums

custom one-offs

DCBirdMan

I can't talk for now but can confirm they didn't make them in 2013. I was told then they had given up making one-offs since the delivery periods were too long. My desires have been two slightly modified Gibson USA guitars since modding stock ones would have taken a refinishing. Some minor additional routings, some different components otherwise used by Gibson, too, altered wiring also using standard components, thus no special-ordered external parts required, but the answer was no. :(

Guest Farnsbarns

Are you asking or telling? To get a custom build you need to visit a custom dealer and get a quote. There are a lot of limitations, "custom" may not be the right word really.

Asking since I don't know anything about the whole Gibson custom scene.

I just got a very nice new non reverse Firebird, then noticed they had recently reissued the 335/12. So that got me to thinking could they make an NR Firebird 12? They have the body, the neck, 12 string bridge, etc. There were of course the mid 60s NR Firebird 12s but like the 335-12 of same era, they have that awful narrow neck which I find just very difficult to use (like most all Rickenbackers, except two models). But the new 335/12 neck is the proper width.

Looks doubtful tho.

Found this from 5 years ago from Gibson: but anything could have changed since then

"The Gibson Custom Shop will give quotes to have one-off instruments. What you would need to do, is to take the specs you want to your nearest dealer who is authorized to order and carry Gibson Custom Shop instruments. Your dealer would submit your request for a quote to the Custom Shop quote team. Once our quote team has worked up a quote, they would send that information to your dealer. When your dealer gives you the quote, you can decide if you want to move ahead with the custom order. I hope this helps."

The scheme is called "Made to Measure", now. It can be done, but as mentioned there are limitations. As per my understanding, from a recent conversation with a dealer here in the UK, the options are as follows:

Base model; Les Paul Reissue, Les Paul Custom, or SG Standard.

Model years (for LP reissue): 54, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60.

Choice of flame or quilted maple top on LP's.

Choice of standard solid body, weight relief, or chambered (LP's only).

Neck profile: "fat", "regular" and "thin" are how they describe the options.

Choice of hardware colour (nickel, chrome, or gold); can also opt for things like a Bigsby.

Huge amounts of finish options.

Choice of gloss, VOS, light aged, or heavy aged finishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this from 5 years ago from Gibson: but anything could have changed since then

"The Gibson Custom Shop will give quotes to have one-off instruments. What you would need to do, is to take the specs you want to your nearest dealer who is authorized to order and carry Gibson Custom Shop instruments. Your dealer would submit your request for a quote to the Custom Shop quote team. Once our quote team has worked up a quote, they would send that information to your dealer. When your dealer gives you the quote, you can decide if you want to move ahead with the custom order. I hope this helps."

This information is still correct.

1. R8 Gloss; natural neck, back, and sides; Ice Tea Fade on a plain maple (but with all the nice lines through it). CustomBuckers; one nickel covered neck; open double black on the bridge.
  2. 345 Gloss; natural neck and sides; Bourbon-Burst top and back. Same sort of CustomBuckers, but slightly underwound, and a Bigsby.
  3. LP Custom; again with natural sides and neck; wine red on flamed maple top and back; 3 CustomBuckers; Bigbsy; Ebony board; nickel hardware.

I was told by my dealer that "At this time Gibson doesn't have any Custom Shop SG's to offer". I wanted to order a reissue of a specific year/style. What is going on?

"At this time Gibson doesn't have any Custom Shop SG's to offer" is because nobody/dealer has ordered one. They do not make guitars to keep in stock at the shop, only ones that have ordered by a dealer. If your dealer was a Custom Shop dealer, they should have ben able to request a quote for what you want. You may want to check with several Custom dealers to see if they have what you want.

They do make custom one-offs. The guitars are just really expensive. I got a quote for a SG Custom '63 Reissue with Maestro Vibrola in a Standard White VOS finish. Would have cost me 7000 dollars. I would have had an ebony board, though. With Richlite it would be 6000 dollars.

Said - no - of course. No SG is worth that much, imo.

They do make custom one-offs. The guitars are just really expensive. I got a quote for a SG Custom '63 Reissue with Maestro Vibrola in a Standard White VOS finish. Would have cost me 7000 dollars. I would have had an ebony board, though. With Richlite it would be 6000 dollars.

Said - no - of course. No SG is worth that much, imo.

Woah! That's nearly £5000 in UK money! I remember seeing the last few pre ebony crisis SG Custom reissues in white here in the UK a few years ago and they were £2500. I also saw a couple of used ones recently for £1899.

... Would have cost me 7000 dollars. I would have had an ebony board, though. With Richlite it would be 6000 dollars.

Charging 1000 Dollars more for an upgrade from Richlite to ebony is not fair. Some manufacturers located in the Far East make guitars costing less than 1000 Dollars and featuring an ebony fretboard.

Charging 1000 Dollars more for an upgrade from Richlite to ebony is not fair. Some manufacturers located in the Far East make guitars costing less than 1000 Dollars and featuring an ebony fretboard.

Yes, indeed. What's even worse, is the fact that it's a pretty straightforward guitar that Gibson have made for years. Should have bought a used one earlier in the year for 3100 euros. Exact same guitar with the 3 pick-ups and everything, except for the Maestro. But I could have bought that afterwards. I just fell off my chair. How could they put Richlite on a historic reissue? It would not be period correct anymore. And to charge that much extra cash, is just a low blow.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been confirmed from every Custom Shop Gibson Dealer I've contacted. Gibson is not making any more one offs, with no explanation given.

One-offs? They do make those, but that's not what we're talking about here. One-offs are made by Gibson on their terms; you just need to be at the right place at the right time.

What we are talking about here are custom built to order guitars, or Made to Measure guitars. The idea is you have some choice, but not an infinite amount of options. So, you can get your dream guitar if it falls within certain options presented by Gibson. So, you can choose certain colors, what fingerboard you like, etc.

One-offs are unique guitars that Gibson makes because they feel like it. My EDS-1275 is an example of this. It's a regular - not the mid '60 model - 1275 in Pelham Blue, and it just got sent to Gibson Europe, and I was told they got it, so i got that one instead of the Cherry I ordered.

• 2 weeks later...
1455131717[/url]' post='1739424']

One-offs? They do make those, but that's not what we're talking about here. One-offs are made by Gibson on their terms; you just need to be at the right place at the right time.

What we are talking about here are custom built to order guitars, or Made to Measure guitars. The idea is you have some choice, but not an infinite amount of options. So, you can get your dream guitar if it falls within certain options presented by Gibson. So, you can choose certain colors, what fingerboard you like, etc.

One-offs are unique guitars that Gibson makes because they feel like it. My EDS-1275 is an example of this. It's a regular - not the mid '60 model - 1275 in Pelham Blue, and it just got sent to Gibson Europe, and I was told they got it, so i got that one instead of the Cherry I ordered.

Here is an example of one offs that Gibson has been selling on their terms. I have other pics but can't attach more for some reason.

post-47205-002085300 1456290577_thumb.jpg post-47205-007221500 1456291447_thumb.jpg post-47205-087679100 1456291496_thumb.jpg

Archived