Gibson Brands Forums

Bacon Recording King Vintage Guitar

RevDavidLee

I love looking at arch tops but just can't get into playing them..still a very cool guitar. I hope you get it!

Same here, all of my life it looks like. Great on paper but they just don't work for me. I have an Epiphone ES-175 Premium that I knew would become trading fodder and sure enough, it has.

rct

I was expecting you to be bringing home the bacon.

Maybe you need a Trini Lopez? I was looking at them the other day (on-line) and something about them is kind of appealing.

I love the looks of those! [thumbup]

To be perfectly honest - I haven't "needed" another guitar in years. It's just been a matter of "want" ;)

• 5 weeks later...

re: archtops

Same here, all of my life it looks like. Great on paper but they just don't work for me. I have an Epiphone ES-175 Premium that I knew would become trading fodder and sure enough, it has.

rct

Excuse me if you know this, but traditional archtops are a different animal.

They were designed to be loud (before electric guitars). An archtop should ring clear and resonant and have a rich tone. That is easy enough to check.

Handling is unlikely to be as easy as what most of us are used to. Most of the time heavier gauge flatwound strings are used to get the ‘right sound’. Stringbending will be difficult (if possible at all). If you do put lighter strings on and bend the strings, you will likely move the floating bridge as you do so. That will throw everything out!

I have tried many and still do. I’ve been disappointed in most of them. A Godin Kingpin I tried played beautifully but had a dull indifferent sound. The Epiphone Broadway I tried neither handled well nor sounded any good.

Which is why David’s Recoding King is worth chasing.

Archived