Gibson Brands Forums

My first Les Paul!

Ricki

Les Paul photos"]Les Paul Photos[/url]

Hi everyone, so after 15 years, I have decided to buy my first Les Paul (although not my first Gibson, had the 1998 limited korina flying V about 13 years back...god i miss that thing)

2001 Standard, lightburst premium plus (need confirmation)

Anyway, absolutely love the thing, traded my Prs for it, just need some help with a few things, would appreciate any info on the following:

Pickups, not sure which ones

Body binding, seems to be a bit dodgy, can anyone tell me why it looks so shoddy? Also, if you rub your nail against the binding, it does scrape in some places.

Have no idea how to compress photos to the tiny size required, so gonna post a link for my photobucket page (old school!)

Hello...

You can post photos by using the IMG link it gives you on Photobucket.. Just copy and insert directly in to your post...

As for your guitar, looks ok to me.. I can see that the binding hasn't been scrapped properly in some of those pics.. But its not the worst thing in the world.

I think the pickups on that year was the usual 490R and 498T and I would say the colour is heritage cherry but they do release so many different names for similar colours.. So...

Anyway.. Enjoy and happy playing [thumbup]

Hello Ricki, welcome to this nice place. [thumbup]

Congrats on your pretty Les Paul Standard. [wub] Looks very nice to my eyes! [love]

As Rabs said before, I think the pickups are 490R and 498T. The pic of the neck pickup's bottom side shows an R & T backplate with R coils, so this combo is the most likely one. Same as to Rabs the finish looks more like Heritage Cherry Sunburst to me.

When about the binding, I think it is tinted lacquer that bled over during clear coat process. Any additional layer of nitro finish will solve some of the surface of previously sprayed-on finish, and thus the hue might migrate. The three of my Gibsons featuring tinted finish, binding, and clear coat altogether, show this bleed-over along the binding, too.

Be very careful - nitro finishes are very soft and not fingernail-proof.

Have fun playing her! :)

Thanks for the reply's.

Its definitely Light Burst, its got LB inside the neck pickup cavity, but I'm not sure if its premium plus, is there anyway to confirm this?

Email the pics and serial number to Gibson Customer Service...

Thanks for the reply's.

Its definitely Light Burst, its got LB inside the neck pickup cavity, but I'm not sure if its premium plus, is there anyway to confirm this?

Just took a look at your pics again and habe to admit I overlooked that. So it must have been meant to be Light Burst indeed.

Perhaps the bridge pickup cavity will tell you more. Not sure if they wrote it there in 2001 already, but it would say LPSTDPP I guess.

Archived