Gibson Brands Forums

Proud step dad

ksdaddy

Many sincere congrats for your step-daughter and of course her mother and yourself.

I'd also like to second the remarks made by skilsaw.

One other humbling thought is how moving her writing must have been to each and every person in the audience.

Please allow yourselves thoroughly well-deserved pats on the back, Sir.

Pip.

She's 16. She and I get along fine. Guess I never tried to be the "dad", I'm just "here", if that makes sense. It's worked out well because she hates everyone. She's at that age where she hates anything that moves. It's awkward and maddening sometimes but since I've never tried to stake a claim in her life and just let it happen over time, it's worked out much better.

At home she is witty, sarcastic, has a sick sense of humor, so it's no wonder we get along. In public she is shy to the point of embarrassment. If we go go McDonald's, I have to order for her.

I know, just "don't"; tough love, make her fend for herself. Duly noted. Not the way I operate I guess.

She's in advanced placement classes pretty much across the board and her homework looks a lot like the whiteboard often seen in the Big Bang Theory. Big brain. Refuses to change the toilet paper roll, but big brain.

She was informed of winning the local competition with her essay about a month ago. The VFW paid for our hotel and banquet tickets, whihc took place last night. It was about a 230 mile drive one way. Late Friday she told her mother she didn't want to go. She was in a state of panic, crying, shaking....my two cents was that I would not push her to go. It's her decision. I felt bad that she was missing this chance but what do you do?

There were a few phone calls made, trying to back out, and of course the local VFW rep was very disappointed. My only statement to my wife was that I always felt the best thing to do is to support your kids and hope for the best.

About a half hour later she came out of her room and told us she wanted to go after all.

Whew.

The best part about this was that she made the decision without us pushing her to do it or shaming her into doing it.

So we went to the banquet and for reasons unknown to me, we were seated with some high ranking people in the organization. The local rep insisted it be so. I have no idea why. Excellent banquet with some solemn moments that shook me to the core. It made me realize that POWs/MIAs are truly not forgotten.

Once the awards were presented and she had indeed won for the state, she got up and read her essay. My wife was a bawling basket case as expected.

Her next step is a all expense paid trip to Washington DC in a month or two, to compete at the national level.

I won't say she's coming out of her shell but it had to have helped. She shook a lot of hands and received many pats on the shoulder and maybe a few hugs. True to her saucy wit, her comment as we left the building..."I've never touched so many old men in my life!"

12549058_1087331334641075_2156609053405948590_n.jpg?oh=ca7165e96f1cbcce25fba96d298f838b&oe=5740EEC0

Archived