Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Koa.

bassetman

Nearly a week with the new guitar. Still loving it and grinning a lot. Time to make it mine, so of coarse I have to drill a hole in it. Need to mount the strap button. Also my parts from Bob Colosi should be in on Monday so I I'll do my first saddle replacement. Also the bridge pins mostly because I like the ones with ebony dots in them. Also putting on a set of grovers as I do not like the open back tuners. Going to try an experiment after I put the bone saddle in I will use the old one as a pattern to make one out of sperm whale tooth. I have a large box of the teeth my dad acquired in the late forties. I also have several kinds of antlers and horns to play with. Should be fun. I plugged the guitar in for the first time last night. Was impressed how far acoustic pickups have come since the 80s. My fingers are sore and so is my smile, guess I got the right guitar.

Well, that's an entirely different box of teeth. Glad you are enjoying the new Koa. Koa has such a broad range of appearance that a hopeful search was made to see if photos had been posted of your NKGD- and it looks fine, almost rosewood on the sides. One thing on those photos; don't know if it is the case here, but there have been reports of bad things happening to guitars hung on walls which were exterior walls, just something to keep in mind...

Did that guitar come with a Tusq saddle? Tusq is supposedly a better combination for the UST, and may also keep the Koa from going over to the brittle side.

Enjoy that new guitar, and looking forward to your findings.

Yes it has tusq now. Wall is not exterior and they do not spend much time hanging anyway. NKGD? I did post some photos in the intro...I guess you saw cause you saw them hanging. I like to fiddle with combos of parts to find what works best . If over time the original saddle is best it can go right back in. You sat tusq is better on UST, what is UST. Still learning all the acronyms here. ;)

New(koa)GuitarDay.

UST = under saddle transducer, a type of pickup, but might be irrelevant if your guitar came equipped with the LR Baggs Element VTC pickup, which, I believe, uses a 20 thousandths under saddle ribbon. Don't know, not a fan of onboard electronics, in general, but that is one of the nicer systems.

It has the Baggs Element pickup. Likely only be plugged in a few times a year. Never realy been around electric guitars much. Was thinking on a Les Paul and amp end of summer to piss off the neighbors when their dogs are barking. Also would be nice to play at the fair and a party or two.

Bob Colosi's saddle and pins came. I traced the saddle as a patterns then sanded it to match the stock saddle then sanded a bit of height off as a tweak. Saddle and pins are gorgeous . Total install time about half an hour. Stringing it now. Will report Tuesday.

This one weighs at least a couple pounds . Most are much larger.

image_zpsgblsb7rj.jpeg

I have to admit - a first glance I thought this was a banana, and you had lost your mind... [biggrin]

This is a 2 pound tooth ? Wow, would love to hear your take on that if you are able to carve off a saddle from it. Very cool. [thumbup]

Archived