Gibson Brands Forums

RIP David Bowie

4Hayden

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I will always remember about Bowie was that he had some of the most exciting guitar players in his bands. I saw him in concert with Mick Ronson, Earl Slick, Carlos Alomar, Peter Frampton and Reeves Gabrels (my favorite). Did not get to see him with Robert Fripp or Stevie Ray Vaughn. But still, he always had monster guitar players in his bands which likely was what drew me to his music in the first place. It's a very sad day, today. Very sad.

I hopped on FB real quick before bed to see if my friend had replied to something I posted and immediately saw a music site I am on on there had posted the Twitter message from his son (I saw it ten minutes after it posted). We blared "Under Pressure" (my favorite song that he did with Queen) to send him off well and said a prayer for his family. According to news reports, he kept his Cancer diagnosis under wraps - only family and close friends knew.

I can only imagine the Jam Session going on up there now!

Godspeed, sir, and thank you for your artistry.

I stayed up Saturday to watch the Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars documentary. Just couldn't turn it off. Blew me away this morning when I heard of his death. Unique in voice and style.

Yes, here too, Mrs and I trolling about the 327 cable channels with nothing on settled on Spiders for about half of it. It was good to watch, and we agreed we didn't have enough Bowie on our iPods. Weird next morning for sure.

Modern Love is an actual modern masterpiece of writing and arrangement.

Heroes needed his voice to start soft and "distant" and grow in intensity and proxomity. They tried it a bunch of ways. They ended up with the expensive mic at the end of a thirty feet or so hallway, and he just moved to it as the song grew. That took a serious pro to pull that off.

rct

A true artist until the end.

What has got me freaked out, is I realized a some point in his cancer he knew he would die, and at some point making the album and it's release he would die. Yet, they keep it a secret.

To a large degree, this was planned.

A last surprise?

From what I've read, he knew from the time that he was diagnosed that his cancer was terminal. If he had liver cancer, as is being reported, statistics bear out that a majority of patients that are diagnosed with liver cancer are terminal - primarily because most patients are asymptomatic in earlier stages or have minimal symptoms that can be mistaken for other illnesses. The only people who knew about his diagnosis were his family, doctors and a few select friends. He did not want people to know he was ill.

He may very well have had the album in the works prior to his diagnosis and could have changed the direction of the album once he was diagnosed as a way to say goodbye and thank you to his fans.

Archived