Gibson Brands Forums

The Starman has left

E-minor7

Very sad to learn of this. I guess he was trying to tell us he was leaving in the Lazarus video from the new recording. I feel extremely fortunate to have seen him in concert several times and even to have met him once. I will play some of his songs today and I will smile for the memories.

Bowie could make you scratch your head and laugh at times, but he was always both original and entertaining. One of my favorite things was the cover of Martha and the Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street", with Jagger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4jnaznUoQ

And in a similar vein (and just for our Australian friends here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA

I think that's the Blues King doing the turkey trot at his local part-way through..........

Truly a great and very innovative artist, and he certainly knew how to market himself into whatever genre he chose. So many of these incredibly talented people die far too early due to "burning the candle at both ends against the middle."........ RIP, David Bowie. Your music, which at first I disliked (along with your persona)eventually won me over as I matured and began to appreciate the real human being behind the on-stage personas. I'm lucky enough to have walked this earth at the same time you, Cash, Charles, Cline, and other greats did. Thanks for sharing all of that talent.

I was kind of shocked when I first saw this on TV, many years ago. I believe this is was when I really started seeing "David Bowie" for who he was.

I was kind of shocked when I first saw this on TV, many years ago. I believe this is was when I really started seeing "David Bowie" for who he was.

I read somewhere that Bowie told them there was no way he was going to do that song. But he did.

He moved between genres without batting an eye; a profession entertainer in the best sense of the term.

I grew up with Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. Became a huge Mic Ronson fan based on his guitar work on that record. My favorite Bowie tune to perform is "Rock and Roll Suicide". Gets a great reaction from the old rock and rollers.. RIP Starman.

J45nick, here's some background on Bowie and Crosby singing together (I assume it has some truth to it) from People Magazine. I heard, like you, that originally Bowie didn't want to do it and that Cosby didn't think it would work either. Afterwards, they both were glad they did it. I think it was a pretty real "slice of life" moment for both of them.

http://www.people.com/article/david-bowie-bing-crosby-christmas-little-drummer-boy?xid=rss-topheadlines

And in a similar vein (and just for our Australian friends here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA

I think that's the Blues King doing the turkey trot at his local part-way through..........

Thanks Nick.

I don't think it was me Turkey Trotting though anything could have been possible in 1983 approx., when I had a much wilder version of the Trot that combined with a bourbon or 7, could clear a crowded dance floor.....especially to Lets Dance or Jean Genie.

I saw the Lets Dance tour show here. We walked in a football stadium in a group and were complaining because our seats were right up near the fence at the top and back, and was partial to doing my err..Turkey Trot at the front next to a PA with good view of all the goings on. Stevie Ray Vaughn played the solo on the single but didn't want to tour so Carlos Alamar did the tour.

83 was the era of the huge event at a stadium with all the huge sound systems and huge stage props and real hard work for all with not a computer generated anything in sight. I had just seen Pink Floyd at a huge tennis stadium and all the tricks with quadraphonic monster PA and big creatures flying around and bed crashing from the back down over the heads of the fans and in to the PA speaker etc.etc.... Bowie put the money into mainly..lights, lights and even brighter lights, except at the end of Space Oddity this huge floating Earth that had been bobbing gently around over the stage and front rows, started to expand...and expand.....and went KABOOM as it exploded after the crescendo at the end of the song and the best place was at the top of the stadium where we were because, let me tell you, I don't think it was meant to explode........what a show! I have seen lots of shows but that is among the best rock nights.

BluesKing777.

My band in college covered Putting Out the Fire (Cat People). And of course one of the first of his songs I learned on the guitar as a teen was Space Oddity.

For those who care, a lot of his music translates really well acoustically. I watched him to do Heroes after 9/11 at the NYC concert, sitting Indian style and playing a casio as accompaniment. It was marvelous. Google it.

I threw this together on the iphone just a little while ago. I really liked David Bowie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYvkU7KzRzo&

I was kind of shocked when I first saw this on TV, many years ago.

So was I and presumably many others.

Younger readers must remember 1977 was still the time where rock music belonged to the youth and wasn't yet embraced by so called grown ups - hardly at all

(rather funny/strange/interesting to think back on today).

To see these 2 artists blend appeared like some bridge, which could only be created in a slightly otherworldly X-mas spirit - and even in that setting seemed far out.

A stellar performance never the less - really really good, , , from both sides of the gab.

Archived