Gibson Brands Forums

2015 335 Cherry owners

todegard

Hi

Just got my 2015 335 cherry. It plays and sounds great. I know 2015 had a variation of the color, but when I look at it just feels wrong in some way. I can't decide if I'm going to keep it or return it. Anyone else have the same guitar?

Tommy

Sounds more like a case of "Buyer's Remorse," to me. :-k HOW does it seem "wrong?" What lighting are you viewing the color under?

(Daylight, interior "Tungsten" light, overhead Florescent light? They'll all have different color temperatures, and thus effect

the color perception, of your "Cherry Red" guitar.) Although, that color does vary, a bit, depending on the actual wood color,

underneath. They're all slightly unique, that way. Still, it's ultimately your decision. [biggrin]

I have noticed, that the Custom Shop "Historic" "Vintage Cherry," is slightly warmer, with a more "faded"

appearance, in their red coloring, compared to the regular USA (Memphis) line. Is that what you're referring to?

CB

The Cherry Red finishes were rather dark for decades, so dark that under low lighting it came close to black cherry or even just black. To me it seems they went back to a lighter and to my eyes friendlier hue close to what they used in the early 1960's.

Like CB said, differences in timber surfaces may contribute to different looks. Each guitar is an individual piece of its own.

No ES-335 here but three Cherry Red SGs and one LP with Cherry Red back and sides.

I also didn't like the look of the gloss cherry when I was buying a few months ago, so I ordered a satin and buffed it out to a really nice vintage patina,changed the rotomatics to grover plastic button keystones (great tuners), and put a tonepros resomax saddle bridge on. The guitar looks and sounds perfect for me. I will never part with that guitar.

Charlie Brown, yes, it's probably from looking at a lot of "historic" cherrys. They do have a warmer color. And there is no buyers remorse. The guitar is great in every way. I really like the slim taper neck.

Tommy

Terrific![thumbup] Enjoy your ES-335!! [biggrin] It's own "cherry" color will grow on you, and probably "warm up,"

a bit, in the process, as the clear coat ages. [biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

Archived