Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio 2016

The Kid

Was wondering the same thing. 2 grand for a studio when $1800 to $2000 can buy a used Standard or Traditional?? Pushed us toward other guitar manufacturers last year, and with prices like that, they gonna push us into the used market this year. lol.

To recover the losses from the 2015s, 2014s etc?????

I got my new 2014 Signature for about 70% of the advertised prices of these 2016 Studios. It's much higher spec'd with binding, AA top and '57 classics too.

PS. I don't mind the min-eTune and the various limited edition appointments on my 2014 so I'm very much a winner...

No, Im just curious cause of the huge raise in price for a studio. When I can find a Standard/Traditional/Classic for almost the same price. Was looking for a Alpine White Studio 2016, but it is like 900 dollars more expensive than 2015. With same specs. It doesn't make sense.

Guest Farnsbarns

It really does make sense, honestly. Here's how it works.

Manufacturer X makes a product. One day they decide that they're going to put the price up. The price goes up, not only by the amount the manufacturer wants but taxes and duties go up, insured values throughout the supply chain go up so premiums follow, the retailer has to pay more so he decides he wants the same % return on his investment so his price goes up. His warehousing costs also go up because the guitar still takes up the same space. Then VAT/Sales tax, whatever is the local equivolent increases because it's % of sale price.

Everything in orange is irrelevant really. They put the price up. Their prerogative.

No, Im just curious cause of the huge raise in price for a studio. When I can find a Standard/Traditional/Classic for almost the same price. Was looking for a Alpine White Studio 2016, but it is like 900 dollars more expensive than 2015. With same specs. It doesn't make sense.

I wasnt aware of the price hike until you posted.

Are there still any cheaper 2015 Studios around? (Assuming you don't mind those).

Exchange rates can play a role (given you are not in USA)?

Here in Australia, a couple of years ago $1000 US cost us $850 Australian. Now $1000 US would cost us $1400 Australian.

That could push a $1500 US LP Studio up about $900 Aust over that time on exchange rate alone.

• 4 years later...