Gibson Brands Forums

ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

denis-brazil

... I just wanted to believe that if I put a super 1974 humbucker guitar that would sound true, a real lespaul, like steve jones used to play ...

When Gibson issued the Steve Jones Signature model the p'ups they used were a 496R in the neck position and a 498T at the bridge.

This is what Gibson thought would be closest to approaching Steve Jones' sound.

You could start here; both p'ups are readily available.

pip.

thanks Ian! i do also like CCR, lynard, social dostortion, led, oasis, litle berrie, etc

i do have a ts 808, a brownie, a big muff as distortions pedals... i did buy a marshall combo too

im trying to find my sound...my point is: why they descontinue it? a sucessfull companie car would never do it if was dlright or selling well

i didnt know that custom wasnt consideted a classic les paul tone... never tried one mate...

thanks

ote name='IanHenry' timestamp='1453194812' post='1732075']

Denis,

I believe the Les Paul Steve Jones used to play was a Les Paul Custom, and if you've ever played one you'd realise the it's a completely different sounding guitar nothing like how most people consider a "classic" Les Paul sound.

I also believe that a "Steve Jones sound" would be achievable with almost any electric guitar given plenty of distortion.

I think, to say you've been cheated is a little bit strong, you weren't cheated, you bought the wrong guitar for your needs. It's a bit like buying a motor companies sports car then complaining that it doesn't seat 7 people and doesn't do 50 mpg, you weren't cheated, you bought the wrong product.

You should never buy a guitar without trying it yourself, I always play several of the same model until I find one that I like because each one is a little different.

With regard to buying new pickups, that really is a lottery because you can only listen to them via the internet which is far from accurate and even then they will almost certainly sound different when fitted to your guitar.

Also Denis, you haven't mentioned what guitar players you like to sound like with the exception of Steve Jones, you haven't mentioned what amp and pedals your using which is of massive importance to the overall sound (possibly more so than the guitars pickups).

No one on here is having a go at you, I think everyone's trying to help you and save you some money, so give everyone the information they need to make a judgment based on what it is your looking for, there are some very experienced people here (far more so than me) who will help you.

Ian

That's a lot of different sounds your aiming for Denis. Your Les Paul should cover everything you've mentioned. I think you need to experiment with the controls on both your guitar and amp. The 59 Tribute's are quite bright sounding pickps, brighter than the 57 & 57 plus, but I believe genuine PAF's are mostly a lot brighter than most people think (but the guitars built in the 1950's were very different from one guitar to the next, more so than their modern counterparts, no two pickups had the same amount of windings).

Regarding why Gibson stopped using the 59 Tribute pickups I've no idea why they stopped fitting them, I don't think its because they were no good (I went looking for a 2014 model just because of the pickups, I wouldn't have bought a 2016 one because it's to close to the guitars that I already have).

Here are a couple of video's by Joe Bonamassa that you may find useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkGCvLstPrE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx6TLd3VlwA

All those are just using the guitar controls, that's before you add amp settings and pedals.

Experiment and see what you find, you've got a very good guitar, I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Good luck,

Ian

Ok, my final post.

In the short time I'm on this forum this happened a few times, with different people.

I think the truth is you bought something expansive without knowing it.

Then once you took it home you started to realize that it was a mistake ( YOUR mistake).

You looked at it and probably thought that you didn't like the colour.

I'm basing this hypothesis on the fact that you keep talking about the blue fnish over and over again.

You plugged it into your amp, and surprise, it sounded like a two humbucker solidbody Gibson guitar.

Just that, no magic tone, nothing.

It didn't sound like your Rock heroes!

That sucks, it's frustrating and it hurts your feelings!

Next step you start thinking, who's fault is that?

And there it is, of course, it's Gibson's fault for building such expansive instruments that don't include THE ULTIMATE ROCK TONE in the package!

I have done lot's of thing in my life that afterwards I regreted, some involve stupid quantity's of cash.

Who's fault was it?

MINE!!!

So for me the next logical step is, be a man, accept your responsibility, and move on!

So you think that your Les Paul Traditional is crap, you don't like the color and you hate the sound of it?

And you think you would get a better TONE with a Studio?

Then for fux sake, stop trying to convince us that you found a proof that Gibson discontinued a model or a pickup or a finish, because it was crap.

You can write a million times how crapy the 14 Trad is, doesn't matter to us who own one, because we love our crapy Trad's.

And your comments won't change that.

Instead, channel your energy into something constructive.

For example, if I were you, I would sell that Guitar as fast as possible.

After that go to a store and spend those 2 hours that you say, testing guitars through the most similar amps to the one at home.

Ask the guys at that store for advice, tell them what sound you are after, let them show you stuff.

If you like one, give it back to the salesperson, go home think about it.

The next day go again and spend more time with it.

When you are 100% sure you like everything about it, buy it, and be happy!

Stop whining on forums bro and act!

Posting that Gibson made a horrible mistake with with the 14 Trad will not make you sound better!

I really don't mean to be cruel or to troll you,

it just doesn't make sense to me.

I wish you look on your hunt for the tone you are after!

Greetz

Ok, my final post.

In the short time I'm on this forum this happened a few times, with different people.

I think the truth is you bought something expansive without knowing it.

Then once you took it home you started to realize that it was a mistake ( YOUR mistake).

You looked at it and probably thought that you didn't like the colour.

I'm basing this hypothesis on the fact that you keep talking about the blue fnish over and over again.

You plugged it into your amp, and surprise, it sounded like a two humbucker solidbody Gibson guitar.

Just that, no magic tone, nothing.

It didn't sound like your Rock heroes!

That sucks, it's frustrating and it hurts your feelings!

Next step you start thinking, who's fault is that?

And there it is, of course, it's Gibson's fault for building such expansive instruments that don't include THE ULTIMATE ROCK TONE in the package!

I have done lot's of thing in my life that afterwards I regreted, some involve stupid quantity's of cash.

Who's fault was it?

MINE!!!

So for me the next logical step is, be a man, accept your responsibility, and move on!

So you think that your Les Paul Traditional is crap, you don't like the color and you hate the sound of it?

And you think you would get a better TONE with a Studio?

Then for fux sake, stop trying to convince us that you found a proof that Gibson discontinued a model or a pickup or a finish, because it was crap.

You can write a million times how crapy the 14 Trad is, doesn't matter to us who own one, because we love our crapy Trad's.

And your comments won't change that.

Instead, channel your energy into something constructive.

For example, if I were you, I would sell that Guitar as fast as possible.

After that go to a store and spend those 2 hours that you say, testing guitars through the most similar amps to the one at home.

Ask the guys at that store for advice, tell them what sound you are after, let them show you stuff.

If you like one, give it back to the salesperson, go home think about it.

The next day go again and spend more time with it.

When you are 100% sure you like everything about it, buy it, and be happy!

Stop whining on forums bro and act!

Posting that Gibson made a horrible mistake with with the 14 Trad will not make you sound better!

I really don't mean to be cruel or to troll you,

it just doesn't make sense to me.

I wish you look on your hunt for the tone you are after!

Greetz

Ah, I've had that problem. I've bought several Les Pauls thinking they would make me sound like Peter Green. They never did, I can't figure out what's missing, I'm sure they are all faulty :)

Ian

Hello Denis.

My best guess about the fate of '59 Classics is that they were too close to Burstbuckers. That range has four variations already. The first place they were "created", is to compete against the Seymour Duncan 59 - as far as marketing terms are concerned. It's just my guess, though.

The '74 Super Humbuckers are made with AlniCo III magnets, just like the Custombuckers (a.k.a. Livebuckers). Super Humbuckers first appeared (reissued) on the Randy Rhoads Custom, then they were offered on some of the R74s and "70s style Reissues" - but not on all of them: some came with the 490R/498T combo.

Some say that the Gibson 59s have less mid-range punch. If You insist on replacing them, go for the 498T. As Gibson puts it: "Gibson’s 498T humbucker combines the more powerful response of an Alnico V magnet with additional matched windings on each coil, which puts the emphasis on the pickup’s upper midrange frequencies for enhanced crunch and sustain".

But again, I can make my 57s sound like an acoustic guitar if needed. I can play 70s rock with them too. If I want to shred at high gain, they do it great too. All matter of effects and amp settings.

The color is just a color. Now they have the "Blue Mist" instead of "Pelham Blue", although looks pretty much the same.

Good luck... Bence

Ah, I've had that problem. I've bought several Les Pauls thinking they would make me sound like Peter Green. T

ha! I bet 20 bucks that in all those cases, you sounded just like YOU!!! :) Right!

(I know, tongue in cheek.)

your sound, is in your hands.

Guest Farnsbarns

KB got it. You have faulty hands!

Seriously though, that's a heavily distorted sound you're aiming for, should be able to get close with almost any guitar with any pups. By far the most important aspect of the tone of any guitar is the soft squishy bit behind the control cover plates.

Guest Farnsbarns

Ah; the dreaded 'Brewer's Droop' eh, Farns?

Pip.

Your strap is too long if that's behind the cover plate. I guess you struggle to find straps short enough! [flapper]

[lol]

What the OP needs is a mid-'70s Japanese LP copy playing through a 'Zenta' 3W solid-state practice amp - "full-bung!"(*) - and the cheapest fuzz-box known to man.

Well, at any rate, it worked for me back in '77 when we used to play 'Anarchy' and 'Pretty Vacant' to the Bog Road Faithful.

Never once got my head kicked-in for having the 'wrong tone'...

Pip.

(*) i.e. turned up to 11...

the unfortunate truth is, you can spend years and thousands chasing this around,

you're still pretty much gonna sound, like you sound. worry about your technique, that's where your soul is and where it all happens, the guitar and amp are just parts of the vehicle that delivers your sound.

You don't even believe that yourself, do you? Hybrid guitars with piezo bridges reveal what it's all about.

Why should I even try to convince a gourmet of Tone? But it sounds quite good through my Zoom's acoustic simulator. ;)

Cheers... Bence

...you're still pretty much gonna sound, like you sound. worry about your technique, that's where your soul is and where it all happens, the guitar and amp are just parts of the vehicle that delivers your sound...

eusa_clap.gif

It's at times like this I really miss the +1 button.

Pip.

Archived