Gibson Brands Forums

Which are you ?

4Hayden

I can hardly Flatpick but would like to invest time into finger picking after I bail from the daily work schedule in the next year. I don't know if I have smooth enough motion of the right hand fingers to finger pick but would give it a good go. Don't think I could ever play a banjo although I'd love to be able to.

Aster

I am using a pick, but use my fingers additionally to the pick occasionally for rythm part.

I like to use my fingers for slow blues leads, but sadly I don't have yet the same velocity as with my pick.

I am using Dunlop Jazz III picks but for the moment I am trying the Planet Waves Nylpro 1.40, same shape as the Jazz III but a bit larger.

1453158698[/url]' post='1731923']

[scared][crying]

Never could stand any calluses and fortunately never have any. The currently four of my fretting and picking bandmates also couldn't. Two of them are pro players since 30+ years, and they say it would be hell for them. Only the cuts of their fingernails tell what they presumably do several hours per day.

I used only a pick from my teens till 30 when I got rid of the last guitar. Couldn't get used to finger. Then at 60 when I picked it up again, I can do both. Wanted to learn, StairWay to Heaven. I work away on that song every time I pick up the guitar. Those calluses remind me of my fingers. They were so thick I could actually pull some off. I haven't realized but what you said Cap' may be true. I thought I must not be playing as much as I did at first when I had those thick calluses. I don't have them as before and I've been working on cleaner chords. My fat fingers seem to always get in the way and I'm now playing on those finger tips by the nails. I have to keep them cut very short and noticed the tip of my nails get curled inward after playing very long. Lastly, is that photo for real? That looks very painful. You'd think he'd mess up his eye socket! Lol. msp_scared.gifmsp_flapper.gif

I love a flat pick. The thicker the better. Cannot stand a flimsy pick, would rather use the back of my finger. The more that I play, I like to use my fingers on acoustic and electric....'Mo' Organic and 'intuitive' me thinks!

Hell, I am just happy to be able to "play"!

Archived