Gibson Brands Forums

New J-15

Jalex

Glad to finally have a Gibson back in my hands. With all the hype about the J-15 I thought I should give one a try. The hype is certainly justified these are amazing guitars. The build quality and woods are superb along with a great neck profile and tone to die for. Definitely a keeper and I'm so happy to have a Gibson again.IMG_20160119_173758948.jpg

IMG_20160119_173837691.jpg[/url]

IMG_20160119_173909183.jpg[/url]

You've made a really good choice. The J15 is a "killer guitar." I think this guitar has all the attributes needed to become a legendary instrument. I use mine a lot. It's got playability, lots of volume, and responds to a very light touch. And, it's getting continuous praise from all quarters. Good luck with yours and enjoy.

Jalex, that is a beautiful guitar, the back is really pretty.

I've had my J-15 for almost a year now. It's been my first Gibson, and really my first quality guitar, was playing a cheap Yamaha with a very high action before. I love my J-15.

The price is great, and it's not because Gibson is using richlite fingerboards, or laminated back and sides. It's all the Walnut, which is a lot cheaper than other tonewoods. And that's not a sacrifice! It's a great tonewood, and it's beautiful to look at.

I also prefer natural finishes to a sunburst, and would prefer, say, a J-50 to a 45. So the natural top on this was a real draw.

The neck is really comfortable for me and I like the look of it too.

Enjoy your new guitar!

I bought one May 2015 after looking for a Martin - the J-15 is killer to my ears. Have been continually impressed with the balanced tone. And it seems to have suddenly opened up in the last month or so - build date is Feb. 4, 2015 - so it's almost to its first birthday, but the volume has increased and the bass seems to have gotten richer.

To me, it sounds as good as about any other Gibson I've played. [thumbup]

(From Taylor's website): Walnut tends to have a bright top end, but with a more present midrange, somewhere between mahogany and rosewood. The low end will continue to fill out after being played in.

Goes Well With: Players who like a blend of brightness, projection and warm overtones. Flatpickers and strummers on a larger body with a spruce top will find ample horsepower, low end and crisp highs to support an aggressive attack.

And you can get a custom Martin made from English walnut for $12,999.

The 2016 Martin Anaheim NAMM Show Special guitar is a beautiful addition to any collection. The SS-OMVine-16 is crafted from figured English walnut and inlaid with aluminum in a stunning vine motif.

SO the bottom line is this - the J-15 is an awesome guitar at a killer price. (from a happy J-15 owner)

Archived