Gibson Brands Forums

Praise for Guild Guitars

bobouz

I've got one of the Guild Orpheum guitars, which were/are Ren's pet project at Guild.

Simply wonderful guitars, and you can absolutely see Ren's influence everywhere on the guitar.

Highly recommend checking one out if you are a fan of Gibson, Ren, and Guild

Agreed, I have an Orpheum and it's a wonderful guitar. Sadly, can't get used to the nut/neck profile, so I am selling it. And hunting for a Gibson to replace it!

My hand is proudly raised! I bought this Guild D55 new in 1976 and toured with it as a Christian Singer/Songwriter. Still going strong with her as my main squeeze after 40 years (don't tell my lovely wife).

100_0588.jpg

That is a beauty! Are those jumbo frets on the D55? I have a love affair with the early D40's. I have had 5 of them a '64, '65, '67, & '72...and a '75 (on its way). IMO the best bargain going on the vintage scene.

That is a beauty! Are those jumbo frets on the D55? I have a love affair with the early D40's. I have had 5 of them a '64, '65, '67, & '72...and a '75 (on its way). IMO the best bargain going on the vintage scene.

Yes-- the are those big, wide square ones as you would find on a big hollow body electric that those jazz greats play. Gives notes a big steely kind of sound and combined with the thick rosewood back and sides (this baby is heavy) it makes a big ringing and bass sound I have yet to hear again in another guitar. I really like the feel of these frets, though I had them crowned many years ago. Flattened the tops off of them a bit. Thanks!

Yes, you can also tell from my signature I am still a Guild player. Yesterday, as a matter of fact, I was at a vocal rehearsal for a nice, well financed project, and everyone had their fancy Martins (that I love too) and Gibbys (of course I love those as well), but, among this group, hands down, my 1980 Westerly-built Guild D50 was the tone king of this affair. It wasn't my opinion, everyone was telling me that!

My 2000 DV52 is my fav though. She's a special one. The braces are really scalloped -- more than I have ever seen -- and she has more fat, tight bottom end than even my Martin D35 -- gorgeous sunburst too. (To be honest though as I sit typing this, my '68 J50 is in my lap).

I love all these guitars. I'm glad that Guild got a little love here though. It is an under-appreciated American guitar brand with a rich history.

Archived