Gibson Brands Forums

Planet No 9?

Digger

William Pickering and Percival Lowell... Poor guys. They were considered as idiots, because of their speculations about the existence of a trans-Neptunian planet - said to be based on wrong calculations.

Now, we are back to it again. Gravitational anomalies in our solar system are being explained with the possible existence of another planet within.

Lowell exhausted Himself to death in the desperate search for this planet.

#-o

Bence.

I love all this science-y stuff; we're looking at images of the universe all the time, but then we keep discovering new planets in our own galactic backyard. And this is all so relatively close by. Makes you feel wonderfully insignificant msp_biggrin.gif

As far as I am concerned, Pluto IS still the ninth planet. I have never accepted the downgrade.

So then, when we are able to discover or learn if planets 10 and 11 are planets or asteroids or whatever, then we can have a good count.

By the time they do THAT, then they might be in a position to determine if this gas giant is actually there, or the gravuty is from another group of smaller stuff.

Ya know. Scientific and stuff.

William Pickering and Percival Lowell... Poor guys. They were considered as idiots, because of their speculations about the existence of a trans-Neptunian planet - said to be based on wrong calculations.

Now, we are back to it again. Gravitational anomalies in our solar system are being explained with the possible existence of another planet within.

Lowell exhausted Himself to death in the desperate search for this planet.

#-o

Bence.

Wasn't Lowell the guy who thought he saw canals on Mars and started the whole Martian craze?

Wasn't Lowell the guy who thought he saw canals on Mars and started the whole Martian craze?

From Wikipedia: "Lowell's influence on science fiction remains strong. The canals figure prominently in Red Planet by Robert A. Heinlein (1949) and The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (1950). The canals, and even Lowell's mausoleum, heavily influence The Gods of Mars (1918) by Edgar Rice Burroughs as well as all other books in the Barsoom series."

Cheers... Bence

The combined wit and wisdom of this forum is amazing. I learn a lot here.

Maybe if I'm a member for 10 years and send in all the box tops from the gibsons I buy, the Gibson University will give me a Phd. That would look cool on my wall. Up there beside my Les Paul and the picture of Planet 9.

D'ya think maybe Clyde pyssed somebody off at the International Astronomical Union?

At least its rock. Some of these gas giants are just a lot of hot air.

Not exactly air, and also not exactly hot, or they wouldn't exist at all. [biggrin]

The pertubations of Neptune's orbit were never adequately explained by Pluto (too small a mass) and even the many planetoids since don't really add up. This puzzle is compounded all the more by the distorted elliptical orbits of all the outer planetoids. There must surely be something acting to distort those orbits in the way that is manifested.

So Planet X is back on the scene and the hunt is on.

Archived