Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 TDN '58 versus '59

PelhamBlueFire

This week, I will recieve my 2016 Gibson ES-335 TDN 1958 in VOS. Previously, only the 1959 version was availabe when I went looking for it. What are the differences between the two guitars, aside from the lack of binding on the fingerboard on the 1958? The '59 is priced quite a bit higher, hence why I ask.

According to the 2016 launch, 'mainly neck size and fingerboard inlays'. Aside from the lack of fingerboard binding, original '58s differ from later guitars in that they used thinner ply for the top and back. It'd be interesting to see if they recreate that.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a '59 and did a little comparative research. Seems to me the significant differences are wood selection and binding on the '59. The '59 top and body also seem to have a lighter wood stain finish. Otherwise, build construction seems to be the same. Neck specs are similar averaging .90 at nut to 1.00 depth at 12th fret. At $2k less, the '58 is a good value. But similarly to the 58 vs 59 LP, some folks like select wood. '59 335 tops have a little more detail and blistering for historic accuracy. Otherwise, the 58s are equivalently stunning instruments. I should add the fit and finish on my Memphis guitar is the best I have ever seen out of Gibson.

Archived