Gibson Brands Forums

petition to bring back the SG Classic w/ P-90s

SGman94

It was such a great guitar with an amazing sound and i thought (like a lot people) everything about it was great, and it was one of Gibson's best selling models so i cant figure out why they discontinued it. So i was thinking if i got enough people to back me up MAYBE gibson would bring it back. SO IF YOU (like me) WANT THE SG CLASSIC BACK THEN PUT YOUR NAME (screen name, not real name...unless you really want to put your real name) IN A REPLY AND IF GOD LOVES ME ENOUGH MAYBE GIBSON WILL LISTEN.

Also if they did actually bring it back what changes would you want gibson to put on it to make it better for your liking (try to keep it within reason). Personally id like a deeper cherry finish...saw one at gc 2 months ago and it almost looked pink. ANYWAY PUT DOWN THOSE SIGNATURES!

Man, if they brought it back, and put it on the market for somewhere in the $700-$800 range, and kept consistent quality despite the demand, it would sell like craaaazzyyyy. Not sure if they would actually put it out for that price, but I would definitely start saving my money to add it to my guitars.

Man' date=' if they brought it back, and put it on the market for somewhere in the $700-$800 range, and kept consistent quality despite the demand, it would sell like craaaazzyyyy. Not sure if they would actually put it out for that price, but I would definitely start saving my money to add it to my guitars.[/quote']

You can buy them new on ebay for that much? I have seen several. It's not like they are extinct and never to be seen again. If you want one now is the time to buy one while you can still find them new.

They took them away so they could charge exuberant amounts for the custom shop models, imo. Just like the LP jr and specials. Makes no sense to me to take away a model from reg production to put a worn finish on it and call it a custom/ historic and charge 3-4x as much.

They should keep them cheap: faded finishes, brown, black, white and cherry. Give a couple retailers exclusive models with thicker finishes and bigsbys. Maybe a special standard with binding and block inlays.

These were a G/C, etc., exclusive for the past few years.

I love mine, (P90s' are my favorite P/U now) its' a great guitar, well built, full finish, neck binding, very versatile. Paid $999.00 USD on Dec 31st '08, and thought it was a good value even without a HSK at that price, more so than the new Les Paul Jr w/one P90 G/C exclusive that's out now.

If nothing else, route the body on the SG Special Faded to fit either Humbuckers or P90's and make it an option.

Come on Gibson, you can do it! We want our P90 SG's back.

Oh yeah, TV Yellow would be a nice color option if you do decide to bring the SG Classic back!!!!

HPIM0128.jpg

Man' date=' if they brought it back, and put it on the market for somewhere in the $700-$800 range, and kept consistent quality despite the demand, it would sell like craaaazzyyyy. [/quote']

If they do that it will be some reissue historic VOS thing that will cost twice as much. The SG Classic, while priced just right for what you get, and a steal by Gibson pricing standards, was eventually doomed for those very reasons. Lightning doesn't usually strike twice.

Yes, but with wider body bevels, and deeper horn bevels! Really "Classic," you know?!

I think that might be a Big seller! And, even if P-90's aren't your "thing," you could always

put mini-humbuckers in the same holes. That might be Really interesting...tone wise?!

Almost the best of both...

CB

it just came to my attention that we are gunna need a lot more than ten people...SO PEOPLE TELL UR GUITARIST FRIENDS TO SIGN THIS DAMN THING AND IF THEY DONT HAVE GIBSON.COM ACCOUNTS THEN MAKE THEM MAKE ACCOUNTS AND SIGN THIS GOD DAMMIT!!!

Ever since I first saw Pete Townshend windmilling windmilling with the SG, I've always wanted one. I wanted that "Live at Leeds" tone. Now that they have discontinued it, I'm a little too late. I really hope they bring it back so I can get one!

All the Classic is is a Special with a bound fingerboard' date=' inlaid headstock stuff and p-90s, right? P-90s aren't my style but I'd love to own one, I'm sure it's an amazing instrument and apparently others think so more than I do. I'll sign.[/quote']

I think that makes it more like a standard with dots and P90's.

They have been discontinued about 3 times now! They always come back' date=' dont sweat it![/quote']

I agree, and dont forget that if you are seen to want it back badly enough, Gibson will issue it at an excessively hogh price.

Just be patitnet, it will be back soon enough.

I'm all for bringing them back, sign me up, I'd love to have a single-coil equipped SG. I like the single P-90 models too, and it would be cool to see both Cherry and Ebony versions, or maybe one with the large "lyre box" vibrola on it, those tremolos are never easy to come by. Down the road I'm hoping Gibson might reissue the 70s SG-100s and -200s as well, weird and unpopular guitars I know, with the small unnecessary faceplates under the knobs, mini hums and LP-style pickguards, but I do miss those funky axes. They used to be easy to find cheap and were largely ignored by the collectors who were too busy snapping up SG Customs and '61 Standards...I'd love it if Gibson would do a limited run of SG-200s in Cherry Sunburst, with the black plastic mini humbuckers and the slightly larger 70 headstock. Or maybe even resurrect the Firebrands for a minute or two...

WOW... i gotta say i thought we would get a lot more people...i am disappointed...o well i guess ill get 1 off ebay...still its kinda sad

Like I said they have been discontinued nemerous times before, dont worry, they will be back!

Archived