Gibson Brands Forums

Desert Island Guitar - there can be only one: what's yours?

windhoek

...Don't think I'd bring an electric to a desert island…

Why not, Dave?

In my own case I'm guessing there won't be too much background noise to worry about and my R0 is so resonant to be almost as loud as an acoustic in those circs. and even unplugged has a sweeter tone than any acoustic I've ever played.

Pip.

Why not, Dave?

In my own case I'm guessing there won't be too much background noise to worry about and my R0 is so resonant to be almost as loud as an acoustic in those circs. and even unplugged has a sweeter tone than any acoustic I've ever played.

Pip.

Yup, just listen to the sustain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4kJL_NDR0

PS. Id take my new Gibson LP 2014 Signature for its combination of looks, versatility and tone.

I have a few wonderful acoustics, and I would hate to have to part with my D35, or 000-18, but for today anyhow I would say it would either be my D15 slot head, or J200.

MIVJyez.jpg

The J200 is a monster, but the D15 is a fingerpicker's delight. Also the slot head and slightly larger lower bout gives it the extra bottom end that is pure gold.

If the island has electricity, my choice guitar actually wouldn't be a high end one. My parents bought me a honeyburst Epiphone LP100 which was my first electric back in 1996. I still have it and it has lots of sentimental value for me, more than any other I own, so for these reasons that old LP 100 is my choice.

That said, if there is no electricity on the island I would take my Gibson Dove for sure.

A Tele....You can dig with it, row with it, clear brush with it, write HELP in big letters in the sand etc etc..... And it will still be in tune......

So true! Many are the times I've left a Fender or two in the car all week between gigs and they've stayed in tune!

Guessing that since it's a desert island, there's no power so acoustic it is.

Agreed. I don't see taking an electric. If it's a dream guitar I'd like to take a J-45 or maybe a Martin D-35. If it's one of my own, I guess it would have to be this CL-10 since it's likely the best acoustic I have.

DSC_0046.jpg

A desert island with power?

Say what?

Haha! In the times we live I wouldn't be surprised if there was an Apple store behind the first palm tree...oh, and don't forget the McDonalds too. Other than that it's the usual dersert island kind of thing (sponsored by Tropicana).

Parker DF522NN (NN for Notes Norton -- custom build).

Why?

1. Pickups #1 Duncan P-Rails give me the following sounds: P90, Rail, Series Humbucker, Parallel Humbucker - it's the 'swiss army knife' of pickups ;)
  2. Pickups #2 Piezo under the bridge that can be played by itself or blended with the mag pickups
  3. 25.5" scale and 14" radius
  4. Volume knob near my picking hand so I can adjust while playing with my little finger
  5. Only 5 pounds but sustains like my 8 pound faux-LP
  6. Ebony fretboard and hardened stainless steel frets make bending like putting a hot knife through butter
  7. Contoured and balanced, it's more like wearing the guitar than holding it
  8. Sperzel tuners, graph-tech nut & bridge plus an alomst straight string path makes for incredible tuning stability

It's already my desert island guitar, because I rarely pick up any of my others.

NN02_DF522NN.jpg

It would have to be my vacation guitar (Epi Natural Dove). That way if "Mary Ann" accidentally sat on my guitar I wouldn't be as upset as if she sat on my Gibson Dove!!! We ain't even talking about all the dang trouble Gilligan would pose to a good guitar. :rolleyes: Also, I couldn't bear to have to turn any of my beloved Gibby's into kindling to set off the rescue fire ya know. [biggrin]

Aster

Archived