Gibson Brands Forums

Which should I buy?

led head

Well, I don't know about Chinese Gibsons,but I do know that foriegn made Fenders are garbage--They cannot be set up to intonate properly nor will they stay in tune onstage. I suggest you play any Epi carefully, and completley set it up in the music store to see if it will intonate, IF you possibly can. When I buy a guitar, I ALWAYS set it up in the store before I pull the trigger. If the salesman objects, I tell him "If it can be setup to my specs, I will buy it cash right now". Just recently found a Custom Shop Gibson with a frozen truss rod--It was 50% off,and I was suspicious! Saved a lot of aggravation.

Hey Charlie,the bevels on your SG look exactly like mine,which was made 4/14/04--Do you know when yours was made? I usually buy the SG that has the nicest bevels,'cause anything else can be fixed,but you're stuck with the bevels for life. And yes, like h-bomb I AM A BEVEL FREAK! I actually once sold an SG for a loss,and bought another exactly the same one just 'cause the bevels were deeper. Not sure if I like the historic's bevels,though--they're a little TOO exaggerated. Plus the horns are thicker on looking down at them. I can't wait till my medication kicks in!

I'd say it depends on your budget. I can tell you if you fall in love with the epi, a Gibson standard will be in your future, then you will be paying for two instead of one.

The epi sounds like a pretty decent deal though, comes with good pups already and looks pretty cool, although the crosses are too small.

Hey Charlie' date='the bevels on your SG look exactly like mine,which was made 4/14/04--Do you know when yours was made? I usually buy the SG that has the nicest bevels,'cause anything else can be fixed,but you're stuck with the bevels for life. And yes, like h-bomb I AM A BEVEL FREAK! I actually once sold an SG for a loss,and bought another exactly the same one just 'cause the bevels were deeper. Not sure if I like the historic's bevels,though--they're a little TOO exaggerated. Plus the horns are thicker on looking down at them. I can't wait till my medication kicks in![/quote']

Yeah, that's when they still beveled the bottom horn fully, and the top horn still HAD some bevels...lol Seriously, the one at my local GC is pathetic, and the regular USA Standard puts it to shame (and that's not a good thing for vintage-vibe freaks like us). I think the bevels on the Historic are okay, it's the LACK OF TAPERING on the Historics--tapering that you guys' USA '61 Reissues HAS---that makes the Historics lame when compared to the originals. About '06 I started seeing some slacking on the beveling of the '61 RI, and although I've seen one or two recent ones online that appear to have more '99-'05 style bevels, I won't believe it (or the nice deep red finishes that some photography displays) until it becomes the 'norm' again.

We're OCD, maybe. But hey, if people can fuss about other details about guitars (finishes, capacitors, mm's of misplacement of hardware, tailpiece weight, etc) then why can't we fuss about contours/bevels/etc on SG's???

;)

H-Bomb

i know what all yall are sayin' date=' but i kinda like this epi... it has the same feel to it as this gibby, but still... it's a gibson![/quote']

Trust me. An Epiphone, no matter how good it is, will never match up to a Gibson. Not quite. Maybe close, but it won't be the same. Get the Standard. Right now you might think the Iommi sig is cool, but will you still be glad you bought it 20 years from now? If yes, then get it and save your self some cash. If not, get the Standard and I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

Archived