Gibson Brands Forums

Nam 2016 Epiphone unveils new acoustics - not

Mickthemiller

I was half expecting a new Masterbilt because Epiphone seemed to be dropping hints that one was in the offing a couple of months ago.

Personally I would have liked to see a modern take on a classic Epiphone like the "Frontier" or the "Excellente".

I'm not sure why any of you are a bit surprised by this. Epiphone has hardly ever had big reveals at NAMM. they just release stuff throughout the year at random.

don't know if any of the models you all mentioned will be brought into the Masterbilt line but I have heard rumors of a '39 Zenith Masterbilt reissue. seems Epi is reissuing a lot of the older retro looking models which seems like a home run in my opinion.

I was half expecting a new Masterbilt because Epiphone seemed to be dropping hints that one was in the offing a couple of months ago.

Personally I would have liked to see a modern take on a classic Epiphone like the "Frontier" or the "Excellente".

Hi Rover: I share your liking for Exellentes. I have an original 66 and several of the 93-94 Bozeman custom shop reissues.

Moose

I'm not sure why any of you are a bit surprised by this. Epiphone has hardly ever had big reveals at NAMM. they just release stuff throughout the year at random.

don't know if any of the models you all mentioned will be brought into the Masterbilt line but I have heard rumors of a '39 Zenith Masterbilt reissue. seems Epi is reissuing a lot of the older retro looking models which seems like a home run in my opinion.

Not really surprised, just hoping for something interesting to GAS for.

Do you really think there is a market for an archtop? There was a speculative thread here a while ago and, as I recall, the reception was pretty lukewarm.

Hi Rover: I share your liking for Exellentes. I have an original 66 and several of the 93-94 Bozeman custom shop reissues.

Moose

Do you have any pics anywhere online?

I do think there is a place in the market for an all solid spruce/rosewood Masterbilt and for me the Excellente would be prime candidate.

Do you have any pics anywhere online?

I do think there is a place in the market for an all solid spruce/rosewood Masterbilt and for me the Excellente would be prime candidate.

Hi Rover: No photos on line but send me your E mail and will try to scan you a photo

of a brand new, never been played, 93 Bozeman reissue. For your information they only made 23 of these

Moose

Not really surprised, just hoping for something interesting to GAS for.

Do you really think there is a market for an archtop? There was a speculative thread here a while ago and, as I recall, the reception was pretty lukewarm.

I'm not sure about the market for the zenith but you never know. they definitely have the cool factor but who knows. I'm interested in checking it out but not GASing for one...yet

....I have heard rumors of a '39 Zenith Masterbilt reissue. seems Epi is reissuing a lot of the older retro looking models which seems like a home run in my opinion.

Hmm. I happen to have one of those, made in 1939. They were laminate then....

mnm259.jpg

mnm258.jpg

My 1936 Zenith is 80 years old this year! It's an awesome acoustic arch top. Would be very cool to have a reissue from that era to compare if they can replicate it decently (which with today's know how they should be able to do for a reasonable price.). I hold off bringing my 80 year old one out to gigs or jams, but a replica would be a different story, There is s limited market for them, but Epiphone should be the go to brand IMHO.

You could save up for a J15 it's worth doing it

Well, fortunately I'm at the age and financial position to not have to save up for a guitar.

If I want one, and it makes sense, I would just get it. (got a new D-18 Ambertone from Mary's last November)

I'm just not a big Gibson fan... I know, that's blasphemy here.

I've test run a 2016 J-45 Vintage that I really liked, but GC wanted $4k for it, and I honestly didn't think it was worth that much.

Everyone hears things different I suppose, but my EJ-200SCE sounds every bit as good as any -new- J-200 I've played.

But it would be nice if Epiphone made a full-gloss Masterbilt.

But it would be nice if Epiphone made a full-gloss Masterbilt.

I kinda think that was Mick's point, there are gloss Masterbilts but when you start talking about nitrocellulose you're straying into Gibson territory.

Must be nice not to have to save up for any guitar you want. Right now I'm weighing up either a new fridge or a new amp. [biggrin]

You're probably right Dodger although I could keep my beer cold on the balcony at the moment and I do have €60 worth of gift vouchers for a (relatively) local music store.

Been in South America a few times but never the North, aside from a few hours in Vancouver before they decided to deport me. There must be a few guitar stores worth checking out in NY, I'm sure a read recently about an excellent vintage guitar shop there but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

Have a good trip mate. Safe journey.

Well, fortunately I'm at the age and financial position to not have to save up for a guitar.

Fortunately that also applies to me. I figure if I don't squander my hard gotten savings the kids will squander it when I depart. It's nice to think, within reason, that I can get a bout of GAS and get the cure quickly. Thing is I tend to sell a lot of em. Usually at a small loss but I reckon that if I got some pleasure out of a guitar it was worth it. Holidays cost, and I enjoy them too, but you can't get you money back, or even 3/4 of it.

Archived