Gibson Brands Forums

prototype guitar

desertshuttle

hello all,I have a 1952 gibson es125 serial or fon? z2143 27 when i got this guitar i was told it was a prototype in that his father worked at the kalamazoo plant and documented it .im still waiting for the docs.the es125 has only one pickup and this one has two pickups [ round archtop] the es125d didnt come out until 1957 i would really like to know about this and how special it might be. please help me with any knowledge and thanks!post-76604-060895000 1453964269_thumb.jpgpost-76604-045357100 1453964666_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
...I have a 1952 gibson.....FON Z 2143 27...I was told it was a prototype in that his father worked at the Kalamazoo plant and documented it...

Hmmm..........Curious.

From what I've read the usual fate of Prototypes at that time was to be cut up an destroyed.......eusa_think.gif......

Unless anyone here has more info and without seeing whatever documentation will arrive all I can say at present (and I'm certainly no expert) is that without verifiable documentary proof of what you were told it's just an old Gibson which has been very heavily modified and has an FON label which would date the guitar to 1952.

The ES-125 was available (according to the Vintage Guitars Info website) from 1941 to 1970. The pre-'50 instruments had trapezoid inlays and dots were introduced at that time.

The body was originally 3 1/2" thick but was slimmed down to make the ES-125T in '56.

If you send an e-mail to Gibson Customer Services they might have records of that particular guitar. Here's where;

http://www.gibson.com/Gibson/Talk-2-Us.aspx

Good luck and keep us posted!

Pip.

Archived