Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mike_o

Problems with DD vst in abelton

Hello, I am using DD as a vst inside of ableton live, I just recently updated to V2.5 after some time away from DJ'ing.

previously in DD V1.x I used to be able to do this...

I would use dummy clips in ableton to trigger play and cue points in DD, this allowed the decks in DD to stay in perfect sync with ableton at all times.

now after installing DD V 2.5 I cannot get DD to respond to midi clips, it seems that evan as a vst it only responds to external midi controllers.

is this correct or am I missing something.

I have created a remote sl midi script and everything responds properly from the external controller, but I cannot get an ableton dummy clip to trigger anything in DD.

I can't figure out what the issue is but I really need to be able to set this up with proper functionality again.

is there a way to make DD respond to ableton dummy clips?

Thanks,

Mike

Edit: P.S., I would also like to see a return of DD Solo for use inside of DAW's, will it return?

Hi Mike,

I would use dummy clips in ableton to trigger play and cue points in DD, this allowed the decks in DD to stay in perfect sync with ableton at all times.

now after installing DD V 2.5 I cannot get DD to respond to midi clips, it seems that evan as a vst it only responds to external midi controllers.

is this correct or am I missing something.

It looks like that I broke this feature when I changed the controller behavior from 2.43 to 2.5. I didn't notice it till your post. I will fix it asap.

I would also like to see a return of DD Solo for use inside of DAW's, will it return?

I don't know yet. Steven asked about it a few months ago: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/125242-deckadance-vst/page__view__findpost__p__1706256

Nothing has changed since then. I can send you SOLO version for DD 2.5... but it has the same problem with Ableton dummy clips.

Hi Mike,

It looks like that I broke this feature when I changed the controller behavior from 2.43 to 2.5. I didn't notice it till your post. I will fix it asap.

I don't know yet. Steven asked about it a few months ago: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/125242-deckadance-vst/page__view__findpost__p__1706256

Nothing has changed since then. I can send you SOLO version for DD 2.5... but it has the same problem with Ableton dummy clips.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the response and look forward to the next update.

It might be good if there was an input option for from host in the midi scripting assignment window.

I think it would be useful to be able to separate midi messages from the controllers and from the host, like in the options window where you select your midi controllers and script maps there should be an option to say "receive midi from host", and then an option to simply check "to all" where any midi message in from the host that matches up to any selected controller will work, or you could check a box that says "from script" and create a custom midi script for all messages from the host program.

Luis,

Did you get anywhere with this 'fix' at all? looking toward midi clock sync between both Host DAW and DD VST plugin is probably the biggest USP's deckadance has over the other DJ software using it as a VST plugin, otherwise its pointless.

Not sure if you can fix/do these quickly enough for next release?...

- Auto sync vst DD global clock to host DAW clock

- Option to Send Midi Clock (scripting?) - so we can do workarounds to control DAW clock if need be

- Ableton LINK Integration?

On another note have you considered also implementing NI's STEMS technology yet with their SDK?

Did you get anywhere with this 'fix' at all?

Not yet, when Mike reported this problem I was working in version 2.60 and I wasn't able to schedule time for it. Now that I'm starting to work in version 2.7 I will make sure to fix it.

looking toward midi clock sync between both Host DAW and DD VST plugin is probably the biggest USP's deckadance has over the other DJ software using it as a VST plugin, otherwise its pointless.

Probably, but to be honest there isn't enough interest from our users about DD VST, or SOLO. It's a pity, except you and Mike, nobody has reported me anything about using DD SOLO or DD working as a VST plugin.

- Auto sync vst DD global clock to host DAW clock

- Option to Send Midi Clock (scripting?) - so we can do workarounds to control DAW clock if need be

Syncing the DAW to DD VST clock is difficult (...not the other way) and the only solution is probably sending MIDI clock from DD but said this, I'm not 100% sure if it's going to work as expected. I added this to the TODO list but it's a low priority right now.

- Ableton LINK Integration?

One more time the problem is that there isn't enough interest about this from our users. I know that it's a chicken and egg problem but by the moment all the time spent in VST, SOLO and integration with DAW's hasn't been fruitful so far.

On another note have you considered also implementing NI's STEMS technology yet with their SDK?

Yes, I have considered it but it's not clear if Stems tech have a bright future. From what I know the SDK is not available to 3rd parties yet.

Luis,

I totally understand the constraints and the lack of time you have for DD development.

I also belive the main reason you haven't heard anyone using the DD Solo or VST version of deckadance is simply down to it not functioning correctly to make it usable. I scoured the net for articles and forum posts on DD inside a DAW and EVERY SINGLE post, comment etc stated that it wasn't 100% right to use (as a VST plugin - usability) with some using workarounds and most just jumping ship or giving up because of it:

http://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.php?t=17764

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396298

http://djtechtools.com/2010/09/26/deckadance-1-70-ready-to-rock/

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=88123

Its like DD is just 'almost there' but fails at the last hurdle because of the lack of investment in the VST implementation (an area which no other dj software competes - DD can own this market), where in reality it could leap ahead of the other top 4 or 5 software titles out there if it gets this right. Everyone is screaming out for Traktor & Maschine to be integrated, but imagine having DD and Ableton working flawlessly = so much more you could do. If this was done right, and marketed correctly it will attract more users and increase sales. At the moment DD is simply playing catch up with the other big name DJ software titles, but this could be an opportunity to change all that and make DD the software everyone is talking about.

I think if you can fix the midi clock to DAW issue for next release that would be a great first step and if you could even allow MIDI CLOCK output via midi scripting or something easier that would certainly open up the interest in that side of things again.

Sign in to follow this