Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Provile J45 vs. AJ

gfa

Can someone describe for me the difference in the neck profiles of the J45 vs. AJ? I read the specs on the Gibson website, but they don't really tell me much. This information will help me figure out which direction I'm heading when I head off to the shop for my next potential guitar purchase (it's a bit of a hike for me to get to a store with much inventory). Thank you!

There are a least a half-dozen different neck profiles on various J-45 models.

The AJ is usually described as having a 1930's modified V-neck. This neck profile generally has a noticeable softened V-shape near the nut, which gets less pronounced the further toward the body you go. You can still feel a slight V all the way up the neck, but much less so on the upper frets. It's pretty comfortable for most people.

It certainly has more mass and circumference than so-called "low, fast" neck profiles.

You really need to try as many as you can before you buy, if possible.

The AJ is usually described as having a 1930's modified V-neck. This neck profile generally has a noticeable softened V-shape near the nut, which gets less pronounced the further toward the body you go. Yo can still feel a slight V all the way up the neck, but much less so on the upper frets. It's pretty comfortable for most people.

It certainly has more mass and circumference than so-called "low, fast" neck profiles.

Thank you Nick, that's very helpful info. This potential purchase is my first foray into Gibson acoustics, and it can be pretty confusing with all of the models, special releases, changes over time, etc.

I am far less concerned with the neck profile than the characteristics of the guitar. Find a guitar that you love and adjust to the neck. I play necks from V to slim profile without issue. My favorite may be the modified-V but my J-15 slim neck is lightning fast and comfortable.

I am far less concerned with the neck profile than the characteristics of the guitar. Find a guitar that you love and adjust to the neck. I play necks from V to slim profile without issue. My favorite may be the modified-V but my J-15 slim neck is lightning fast and comfortable.

Doesn't work that way for me.

And that is why no one's opinion or observation will matter. Everyone has to play all the different styles and pick the one(s) that work for them. Enjoy your hunt.

Description of a neck profile isn't opinion.

Description of a neck profile isn't opinion.

Actually, to some extent it is, as there are no clear definitions of the descriptive terminology typically used in describing neck profile. I have both Gibson and Martin guitars with "modified V" necks, and they're as different from each other as chalk and cheese.

Beating this topic to death, but ... Of course, there can be some subjectivity in the description of a neck (like just about anything), but it's useful to know that a neck is, for example, thick, or thin, or thicker than that other one, etc. When a person posts a question on a forum asking for information, responding by telling that person to go play guitars is not helpful.

Beating this topic to death, but ... Of course, there can be some subjectivity in the description of a neck (like just about anything), but it's useful to know that a neck is, for example, thick, or thin, or thicker than that other one, etc. When a person posts a question on a forum asking for information, responding by telling that person to go play guitars is not helpful.

We really are trying to help. The simple fact is that there is a massive amount of subjectivity on this topic, including the descriptive language used by manufacturers. Even for models that are nominally the same--ie, the J-45--there are huge variances in things like neck profile, depending on the model variant. That's one reason people are so reluctant to try to answer this question in a definitive fashion.

It's also difficult to rely on the description provided by guitar sellers. One man's modified soft V is another man's full round C section.

In theory, most AJ's are built on the same model, with the same soft V profile. But there have also been special runs with the Luthier's Choice neck, which is an entirely different animal.

If you are buying blind, and neck profile is a real concern, you may need to ask for close photos of the back of the neck near the nut, and around the 9th fret or so.

I wish you luck in your search. It's a tough one, if you can't put your hands on the guitar.

Yeah, this is very subjective and dependent on what is comfortable to the one playing the guitar. To me, the nut width is critical. Too narrow and I don't want it, because I can't enjoy playing it. A nut approaching the 1 & 3/4 area and most any neck that is not skinny will work for me. As someone else stated, I can adjust my playing to the neck. My J45TV and both AJs have necks that feel a little bit different from each other if I actually focus on how my hand fits around them and moves. However, I really pay very little attention (if any) to the neck differences, because the nut widths are perfect for my style and technique and each guitar is very comfortable and playable.......If at all possible, play the guitar first.

The AJ is usually described as having a 1930's modified V-neck. This neck profile generally has a noticeable softened V-shape near the nut, which gets less pronounced the further toward the body you go. You can still feel a slight V all the way up the neck, but much less so on the upper frets. It's pretty comfortable for most people.

To add to j45nick's reply, the following images should help visualize the various neck types.

S9waBFU.jpg

zXMKlgu.jpg

Archived