Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Amp EVER!

It's amazing to me on a Gibson forum how many folks like Fender amps. I was always led to believe that the perfect accompaniment to a Gibson Guitar was a Marshall amp, which isn't always the case.

My ES-335 sound beautiful through my Blues Junior III. :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

My newest acquisition is the one I'd been lusting after for a few years, and easily my favorite of all time. I sold a mint 1970 Fender Princeton with the original tubes to fund the purchase of the Mesa. The Princeton was a one owner "closet find" and I was always reluctant to use it much due to the originality. The Mesa has all the power I'll ever need and can produce a huge range of tones.

20160308_194021_zpsmdychn78.jpg

IMG_1405_zpsxkz0iauq.jpg

I am completely, COMPLETELY in love with my Bose L1! Paired with my Gibson LE and its LR Baggs Lyric pickup it is perfection.

I spent the last hour lost in the Youtube Void watching videos of amateur, and a few professional guitar players playing through their favorite amps. (I am seeing a therapists about the Youtube addiction BTW). When the first part of your Saturday evening starts by watching chimpanzee fights, you know there are problems. (I digress)

I must have watched at least 100 or more guys and amps and listen to their affinity for their favorite setup. Guys with 59 and 60's Plexis, Old Boutiques, Right up to the Shredders with their gains turned to 11. I am always trying new things and just ordered a dual set of Orange PPC 212 cabs, and I am just itching for them to get here so I can run all my amps with em and mess around.

For me, the best sounding amp I have used is a 1968 Marshall Super Lead 100. Some folks like some of the 40 and 50 watt heads that predate the '68 Plexi, but I don't know if it's the unique aspects of that exact amp, or the whole run sounds just as good, but that creamy, yet growly lead tone, and the sustain, and feedback thresholds are just perfect for me. I wish I owned one.

what about you?

I guess I'm kinda a minority here because frankly, I don't think amps make that much difference in on-stage circumstances, especially if they're being miked anyway to run through the board.

My first amp I got around Christmas/New Years late '65 or early '66, a Fender Deluxe Reverb. IMHO I blew it by "trading up." It was plenty loud for the era and venues and the other band equipment, would work for a solo with the two channels and a mike through one and guitar through the other, and it was a helluva lot easier to carry than bigger amps.

The "trade up" was for an AIMS Dual 12 - a 120-watt tube amp kinda like a twin of the day, but on steroids. I still have it. It'll blow out windows in the house if you crank it, but it also would work double duty with the 2 channels for a solo. Way, way too heavy for me to haul nowadays. Yeah, I'd sell it, but it'd be as much cash to decently pack and ship it as what it'd be worth to anybody.

In fact, I used it in a saloon house band gig and the other picker used a Baldwin that weighed about a quarter of mine and we both hadda balance with the PA and drummer regardless... His technique and the Baldwin was a super combination for sounding like a pedal steel; worked for him on that gig and his prior life in a Holiday Inn circuit set of duo gigs with a decent PA and an early drum machine.

Then there's the '60s Bassman 50-watt head and 4-10 cab, works fine but again, too @#$% heavy for an old guy whether thinking of using for bass or guitar. Yeah, worked for bass gigs in the early 70s 'stedda guitar gigs and the AIMS, and my wife used it playing bass in a trio set of gigs we did in the late '70s, but too heavy now. Ditto on the "for sale."

Current favorite would be my 10-year-old or so Kustom 30-watt SS amp with a 10-inch celestion. Hauls easy; does as small solo gig well enough with guitar in one channel and mike in the other. In fact, using the line-out with that setup, it's fine for recording guitar and voice into the computer. It's relatively light. It works fine with either an AE or electric archtop for about any type sound you'd want, and it mikes well enough to run through a board. On a bar stool in a small saloon it'll blast loud enough for an electric blues gig.

Heck, I even had good luck with running an AE or electric archtop and a mike through a PA.

Also a 40-watt Fender SS bass modeling amp that works fine with the electric archtop or even as an emergency meeting PA.

Bottom line to me is that I've concluded that power and even variations of "tone" that we think we hear, ain't at all necessarily what an audience hears, whether run through a board or worse, just blasting into whatever room we're playing. So again, to me the think is simply getting close to what we think we want for tone, then finding out what an audience will hear. I've worn out plenty of pants courtesy of 80 quadrillion decibels blasting into their back, and as far as I can tell, my later efforts to balance sound for a given venue always brought better audience response and frankly overall better gigs for everyone.

Then again, I'm kinda an old grouch... <grin> As to the big heavy amps, the AIMS and Bassman, if my "baby brother" who used the bassman when he was late teens/early 20s in a rock band (he's now early 40s) wants 'em, they're his. But I've a hunch they're too heavy and powerful for his current needs too.

To me it ain't entirely quality of this or that, but rather practicality. Any reliable amp of the equivalent of 30 SS watts should be able to be tuned to get an appropriate sound for a given gig, even a huge venue with a huge pa rig. My little Kustom worked plenty loud for a solo gig in a 500-seat theater so...

m

These are the best amps I've ever owned.

A21A585F-9FC9-4CDD-8AD1-BDE6788F6F4F_zpshoftih8g.jpg

The Reverb has stopped working on the Deville...

Most of the time when the reverb stops working on those it's because one of the RCA jacks that plugs into the reverb tank has broken. You can pull the reverb tank out of the bag and look at it. You'll be able to tell if one is broken. You can rewire a new jack on there. [thumbup]

I just retubed this 12 year old Gibson Goldtone GA-30rvs, a lot of the harmonics and touch sensitivity that I forgot these had, has returned, (and it doesn't sag volume intermittently anymore either)

front_zpshmqxprlq.jpg

back-closed_zpsn0iabfdm.jpg

the music store I deal with has had one of these for awhile now. I've played through it a few times. really like it.

the music store I deal with has had one of these for awhile now. I've played through it a few times. really like it.

yea Doug, it's a real good sounding combo and it takes OD pedals nicely and it's freaking loud. The pull/Gain really brings the tone to life The surround sound reverb is a hoot to experience. however, have you tried to pick it up? it's a beast.. 90lbs..

yea Doug, it's a real good sounding combo and it takes OD pedals nicely and it's freaking loud. The pull/Gain really brings the tone to life The surround sound reverb is a hoot to experience. however, have you tried to pick it up? it's a beast.. 90lbs..

Ray,

yes. I was gonna mention that. weighs a ton. with my jacked up back, it would kill me to haul that around to gigs. beautiful cleans. I was really close to buying it at one point. great amp.

Not sure if is/was my favorite amp, but when I was 14 I bought a Ampeg V4 100 watt head and a 4x12 Ampeg Cab. No master volume. just sheer decibels. Started gigging a year later. used that Ampeg till it fried in 1981. i was just a kid when I bought it. Everytime I'd walk into my bedroom and saw it sitting there, man. It literally rattled the windows in my parents house. One more reason for my neighbors to hate me, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if is/was my favorite amp, but when I was 14 I bought a Ampeg V4 100 watt head and a 4x12 Ampeg Cab. No master volume. just sheer decibels. Started gigging a year later. used that Ampeg till it fried in 1981. i was just a kid when I bought it. Everytime I'd walk into my bedroom and saw it sitting there, man. It literally rattled the windows in my parents house. One more reason for my neighbors to hate me, lol.

I had one of those too Doug, you're right it was a freaking BEAST!

1454250719[/url]' post='1736080']

40 Amps? Damn Broher...Most music stores don't have 40 Amps in stock. I would offer to help you liquidate some stuff I suppose. I am a long way from 40...I have 3 complete amps, heads and cabs in whatever configuration, but I am always looking for combo amp that does what I want for bars ect... Don't own a combo.

Really? My Vox VT20 is 33 amps. I'm looking for a better one and may go for the Fender Princeton I checked out the other day at Dietz Music. It had 40 amps. I'm new and don't know much in the amp department so checked in here to get suggestions from guys. Checking out to see what everyone's favorites are. Another one has my interest is the Fender Mustang 5. Wish I still had my first amp. Kick myself selling it but the wife wanted me to get rid of it way back when I quit playing in my late 20's.