Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Amp EVER!

JayinLA

Here's a cool 1967 Fender Vibrochamp that somebody made into a head. It's been through a house fire and I think the back panel got burned up. :o

20160423_150845_zps6r0hsw8n.jpg20160423_151150_zpsygatwbkx.jpg20160423_142512_zpskclfh4jp.jpg

I like it! You gonna sell that when you are done?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it! You gonna sell that when you are done?

Nah. That's a customer's amp. It's never been serviced. It needs some tubes, a cap job and a power cord. I'll spiff up the cabinet with a new baffle board and maybe make a back panel if he wants it. [thumbup]

The reason I checked in here is because I'm getting a new amp tomorrow. My Vox is just ok, very cheap. Not loud. Two people here suggested a couple of amps. I'm checking out two tomorrow morning, a mustang ll and lll. I'll play both and have already reserved the 40 watt mustang ll. I can get 10% off either. Don't think I really need a 100 watt amp for my art room where I play.

Sorry for my late contribution to this topic but here's my 2 cents :)

I've had so many amps like a lot of members here, worst were:

- VHT Pitbull that I hated, expensive, cold sounding, so loud for a 60W head that it was unusable, sound guy always asked to turn the volume down and I was between 1 and 2 under that no sound at all

- Orange Rockerverb 50 MK2, cannot take the overdrive pedal very well

- all the Marshall jcm900 and 30th anniversary head from the 90s, had 4 news and all the same problems, after few months they were noisy but not a natural noise, even with the cable not plugged in!

for the best:

- Fender Twin, but a bit too heavy

- Peavey Classic 30

- Fender HotRod Deluxe, Deville, Blues Jr

What I use now:

- Fender Deville Michael Landau Signature, one channel amp with 2 separated volume level, amazing amp, only issue is these 60w are too loud for 'normal' usage, small cafe and amateur sound engineer so I have to play around 1 and 2

- Orange Tiny Terror head, 7W or 15W selection, one channel, very responsive warm sounding amp, can put whatever pedals in front.

Honestly I have bought the Michael Landau, because I found the Tiny Terror not looking very professional when you see other bands coming with their Boogie or Marshall half stack, but I am really thinking to use it again live as it was always loud enough to be heard in small venues and for bigger ones ... the amp is mic'ed in the PA so...

I am really in love with the Fender but who needs 60, 80 or 100w these days?

• 2 weeks later...

Best amp I ever had, I wish I kept. I can't remember the name, but I searched for 3 grand amps of the 60's and the only thing that looks like my old amp is a GG Jaguar Guitarium and Ampeteria 1969,Sunn 200S Bass Amp. It was very big and loud. Made my cheap guitars sound great though. May be the one as my mother gave it to me for my 16th Birthday in 1969.

Now that I only play at home I have a Fender Mustang III amp, has knob on it you can get different background sounds and USB port that can plug into you computer and cut a CD ,draw back it has 100w and a 12" speaker

4H

hey 4H I have 2 mustangs, (a III and IV, both are v1 versions).

very cool amps, do a lot, and sound real good.

I still have my tube amps, but these are great for quick get-up-and-go rigs for jams, or multi-band shows when you gotta load on, and load off in very short spans of time.

I Bought two Fender Frontman 212R 100-Watt 2x12 combo amps two guitars per amp and a foot control,if you want you can blast a room or turn it down for the slow belly bumping. Reason I bought two In case my main amp fells.been five years and it's going strong.

4H

hey 4H I have 2 mustangs, (a III and IV, both are v1 versions).

very cool amps, do a lot, and sound real good.

I still have my tube amps, but these are great for quick get-up-and-go rigs for jams, or multi-band shows when you gotta load on, and load off in very short spans of time.

I still have my two Fender Frontman 212R 100-Watt 2x12 combo amps but the mustang III will blast you out of the house, the USB port to cut your playing isn't bad either and the 12X12 speaker 100W will do the same as my Fender Frontman 212R just one guitar can plug into it.

4H

• 3 weeks later...

Longest running amp used was a Fender Twin Reverb I bought new in 1974 - only needed one fresh set of tubes in about 25 years, but was heavy to carry around. Great classic tone though and versatile.

Tried a few others when that Twin finally got worn out, Hot Rod Deluxe was good with a pedal board.

Several years ago I got a Rivera Venus 6 and that is probably the best tone I've ever had in an amp. Plenty of headroom on the clean channel, and plenty of grit on the OD side plus some killer saturation of either when you hit the boost button.

But of course Rivera was pretty instrumental in designing and building the old Twin I had, so the Venus 6 is similar, but more refinement (and a lot more expensive)

I did a change to my bass amp half stack. I kept the Fender Super Bassman head, and changed from the Fender Bassman 410 Neo cab, to the Ampeg SVT-212AV cab. The 2X12 cab has a better low end to it. It's a 600 watt, 4 ohm cab, with Eminence 12" speakers.

KYWQNPm.jpg

I did a change to my bass amp half stack. I kept the Fender Super Bassman head, and changed from the Fender Bassman 410 Neo cab, to the Ampeg SVT-212AV cab. The 2X12 cab has a better low end to it. It's a 600 watt, 4 ohm cab, with Eminence 12" speakers.

KYWQNPm.jpg

Can't go wrong with Ampeg.

KYWQNPm.jpg

Juicy. Sweet.

rct

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an 18 watt screamer that my partner built into an old Bell and Howell film projector chassis. I did most of the cabinet work. He designed the circuit and built the amp itself. It's a little too hot right now but we'll get it tamed. It sounds awesome so far.

20160627_173517_zpstdmy2x7w.jpg20160627_200113_zpsc45auwlj.jpg20160627_173840_zpsdvopftqq.jpg20160622_150605_zpsi2holphi.jpg

Archived