Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibson X-Ray Project Gets Some Press!

jt

Hello, I'm a newbie here and looking for a bit of help. As part of my Banner Gibsons book with Willi Henkes, I've scheduled time in an imaging clinic on the morning of Friday, January 11. I'll be X-raying Gibsons built before, during, and after the Banner years (1942 -1945). At this point, I’ve lined up: 1927 L-1, 1930 L-1, 1932 L-00, 1936 L-Century, 1943 SJ, 1944 maple J-45, and 1950 LG-2. Missing are, obviously, late 1930s and late 1940s. I’d especially like to get Jumbos (J-35s, J-45s, SJs) from the years just pre- and post Banner.

We’ll be doing something that, to my knowledge, has not been done before: documenting the changes in Gibsons in bracing patterns, plate thicknesses, bracing thicknesses, truss rod configurations, and anything else that I can think of.

So, if you're near central Connecticut or willing to ship, have a Banner Gibson or one just before 1942 or after 1945, and game, send me an email at johnthomasguitar at snet dot net.

Just think: the innards of your guitar can star in the Banner Book!

Hey John,

Are you able to share a bit about your interview trip to Kalamazoo a few months back? I am wondering if you managed to speak with not only Gibson staff who were building during the war era, but also if you'd been able to talk with folks like Aaron Cowles and others, who worked at the K'zoo plant after the 1940s.

Fred

Fred,

Thanks for asking! I concentrated on the period from 1942 to 1945. I recorded detailed oral histories of 8 women and 1 man who worked at Gibson during that time. Fascinating stories with loads of info about Gibson never before published.

I'm going back in April for another go-round. Maybe I'll chat with Aaron then.

So, how's that Gibson collection of yours?

Fantastic Story. Look forward to the book. Sounds like very interesting reading. I hope you include pics of the workers then and now. They should be very proud to be a part of the history of such a collectible masterpiece. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, all!

These are conventional X-rays. The images that I posted are just my photos of the X-rays. For the book, I'll have better images made.

As for when we finish the book, ... I'm hoping this year. IWell interview more WWII employees this spring and try to finish the manuscript (which is about 1/3 written at this point) over the summer.

Archived