Gibson Brands Forums

Some Inspiration from John Prine

MissouriPicker

It's amazing to me each time I meet someone who doesn't know who John Prine is. While he's a big name in songwriter circles, he's never been a major "mainstream music" star. Maybe that's because he's too damn good for it and he's too damn real......With all due respect to the abilities of Lennon and McCartney, Jagger and Richards, Leonard Cohen, Carol King, Joanie Mitchell, Paul Simon, my heroes Cash and Dylan, etc., Prine is at least the equal of any of them....Here's a video from YouTube. Great stuff directly from Prine on life, cancer, his country,songwriting, family, and how his guitar mistakes became his technique. Cool stuff from a cool guy.

I've mentioned many time on this forum how some of our favorites, and the legends, would never even be signed a deal today because of the way the business operates.

Thankfully we have the internet, but Lord only knows all of the talent being passed over for phonies who are pretty, or vulgar, or even MORE vulgar.

Glad to see this here, JP is the reason I got back into playing the guitar..after a 30 year break I discovered JP ( I don't know where he'd been) but the first video of Prine that I came across was the one he was sitting at the kitchen table playing 'that's the way the world goes 'round' ( i think the reason I liked it so much was he forgot the lyrics partway through the song..which happens to me more times than I care to remember) I was hooked instantly..and that song became my theme song (sorta) and was the first song I played to an outside gathering other than my immediate family. That was a few years ago now and I still play that song today and many other Prine songs with the same enthusiasm as the first time.

John Prine ,in my opinion is the most underrated singer/song writer in the business.

Thanks for posting this here. I gotta go grab the gibby and play 'Clocks'n'Spoons a few other JP songs.

This has been one of my very favorite Prine performances and ironically, he didn't write this particular song. Still, to me, this is what he does best....plain, simple, and poignant...BTW, if you've been thinking about learning the harmonica, this song was literally made for it. So sweet and easy-going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0SsSqIxspo

Thanks' Missouri hadn't seen this interview.

And thank you John Prine for all the songs

I remember getting Johns first album at the local GC Murphys, I would go in to look at the records,thought this one looks good. Had me from the get go,about wore out my Gulid D40 playing his songs

Archived