Gibson Brands Forums

Problems setting up GR3 - MAC

craigr726

I was lucky enough to get my RIP today, and am running through the setup. First, let me say that I am BRAND new to this computer music genre, so please bare that in mind. And, for the record, I'm doing this on a MacBook Pro running Leopard that is just over a year old, so I'm certain that I meet all the min requirements.

I have installed Ableton and GR3 and and am unable to hear the output through my computer speakers. Its almost as if some of the options in the menus are missing. For example, in GR3, Audio and MIDI Settings, under the MIDI tab, there is no way to change the output device names. It's clear that I'm getting input- I strum the DF and the in and out signal indicators at the top of GR3 go back and forth and the same happens on down the page.

Having said all that, I'm sure its something very basic, but I have no idea- I've read the manuals, gone through them step by step, but 5 hours into it, I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

unable to hear the output through my computer speakers.

Thats correct - you will NOT be able to hear GR3 or Ableton using the Macbook Pro internal speakers.

you must connect Active Near Field Monitors or Headphones to the RIP's Output jacks.

This is all covered in the RIP Manual.

Headphones - I like Sony MDR-7506

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-7506-Pro-MDR-7506-Headphones/dp/B0002H02ZY

Picking which pair of Studio Monitors is right for you and your budget is another topic.

I have good luck with a pair of Samson Resolv 65A active monitors.

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/samres65aacr.html

others like Mackie HR824

http://www.google.com/products?q=Mackie+HR824&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en&show=dd

others like Genelecs, etc, etc, etc,

For example, in GR3, Audio and MIDI Settings, under the MIDI tab, there is no way to change the output device names.

Thats because the RIP has zero MIDI functionality -

and the Macbook Pro will need a USB MIDI adapter or other interface to provide MIDI I/O.

Its not a deal breaker - MIDI is typically only used for control these days

having a similar issue with an IMac and the RIP. i can see the signal is in/out in Console & Guitar Rig 3, but I'm only getting the straight DF feed from the RIP Console on the headphone jack of the RIP. i'm brand new to Mac, so i'm guessing there is some device setting i'm missing somewhere. I've used the Utilities/Audio to setup outputs on the RIP and GR3, but no luck and the RIP manual is pretty lacking in Mac specifics - now i'm stuck. any help would be appreciated.

just joined up - i'll update with a story on my whole DF experience once it's all up and running. thanks in advance -

having a similar issue with an IMac and the RIP. i can see the signal is in/out in Console & Guitar Rig 3, but I'm only getting the straight DF feed from the RIP Console on the headphone jack og the RIP. i'm brand new to Mac, so i'm guessing there is some device setting i'm missing somewhere. I've used the Utilities/Audio to setup outputs on the RIP and GR3, but no luck and the RIP manual is pretty lacking in Mac specifics - now i'm stuck. any help would be appreciated.

just joined up - i'll update with a story on my whole DF experience once it's all up and running. thanks in advance -

elantric -

thanks for the link - i'll try it out later today - i'm sure ill have some more questions, since it seems odd that i can't hear any of the DF with any of the software through the headphone jack on the IMac.

elantric -

thanks for the link - i'll try it out later today - i'm sure ill have some more questions, since it seems odd that i can't hear any of the DF with any of the software through the headphone jack on the IMac.

since it seems odd that i can't hear any of the DF with any of the software through the headphone jack on the IMac.

This is not "odd" - but the reality of using the high end Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) applications included in the Dark Fire / RIP package.

You will NOT hear anything from your PC / Mac Headphone Jack or PC/ Mac Speakers.

To repeat - think of the RIP as your new firewire Audio I/O sound card - all Audio Input (Dark Fire) and Audio Output

(Active Speakers, Headphones) connections are to be made using the RIP.

Even if you already have a dedicated DAW setup with Protools, Sonar, Reaper, Nuendo, Cubase and a better audio interface ( MOTU 828MK3, Presonus Firepod, M-Audio, Digidesign, Tascam, etc.

You should consider acquiring a separate PC/MAc computer to run the Dark Fire software and the RIP.

IF you are really new to all this and just want to do something/ anything to see if this new Dark Fire RIP works with your desktop PC/Mac, you can unplug your existing computer speakers and connect them to the RiP's Headphone Jack - adjust volume with RIP headphone level control.

or to work privately

Plug Headphones directly into the RIP Headphone jack.

if you don't have speakers yet or just want to test it thru ur computer and have a mac open up garageband and turn on montoring set the input as the rip and it will play through your computer speakers just use gr3 as a plug in still i would recomend you get a good set of studio monitors they are really worth it however im still saving up for a pair myself

If you really want to hear sound through your internal speakers, might I suggest you create an aggregate audio device?

Make sure your RIP is plugged in and good to go, then go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup. Once it's running, go into the Audio menu and select "Open Aggregate Device Editor" (it should be the only thing there).

From here you can chain together different audio devices connected to your computer and OS X will present them as a single piece of hardware to audio apps. Click on the plus sign to create a new aggregate device, then select the devices you want to group together from the list at the bottom. You can double click on the name in the list at the top to rename your aggregate device (useful if you create more than one and need to identify them).

When you're finished, click done.

Now, just set the aggregate device you created as the audio device in Live and Guitar Rig. Your built-in audio will probably become inputs 1 and 2, so the RIP inputs will start at 3. Keep that in mind if you're trying to run Guitar Rig standalone. Similarly, your built-in audio will probably become outputs 1 and 2, with the RIP at 3 and 4.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived