Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Les Paul

Tim Plains

Hi guys, let's not turn this into a thread where we all point out what gives this away as a fake...but I just thought I'd post these pictures because I think this one looks much better than your average fake. There are still obvious visible queues that gives the guitar away as being a fake and not the right model but this one kind of scares me because I can easily see an un-educated Gibson Les Paul buyer buying this one thinking it's real. What do you guys think? The seller is advertising it as a copy.

7674k97_20.jpg

4533k5l_20.jpg

81838al_20.jpg

131599_20.jpg

The neck pickup wiring is totally incorrect. The pots are incorrect too. And the neck tenon. It clearly is made of tuna and cheese.

I can see your concern man, most of the common mistakes have been taken care off, which makes it incredibly stupid of them to have failed where they have.

How much are they asking for this one?

I'd say that the volume knob is too high up. If you draw a straight line across the center of tailpiece then the knob center should be slightly below it. It might be the angle of the picture though. I think it's supposed to have a split diamond headstock inlay too.

I thought we were no longer saying out loud with the issues due to counterfeiters might be looking here for advice?

I know one for sure though

There are a zillion pictures of Les Pauls out there from every possible angle. If someone truly wanted to get it right and put one past the experts from photos, then I strongly feel that they could no matter what we say. There's one that's obvious from the back too...

I thought we were no longer saying out loud with the issues due to counterfeiters might be looking here for advice?

I know one for sure though

+1'000.000

Why no one else cared to read the whole thing is beyond me... (you guys really think by looking at those pics know it has incorrect pots, pickup wiring and its made of tuna?)

In less than a minute I've spotted sixteen aspects where it differs from a real one, but only because I've had over thirty years to get to know the real deal.

I agree that we should be slightly more careful about letting on exactly where the forgers could improve their designs.

I also suspect that if they really wanted to replicate a Les Paul, so as to be indistinguishable from a genuine instrument, they would be able to do so quite easily. All they need do is buy one and copy it in much the same way as did Gibson when they decided to recreate the '59 Standard.

I agree that we should be slightly more careful about letting on exactly where the forgers could improve their designs.

Respected. Hopefully you guys will educate potential Les Paul byuers by PM - one sent.

I also suspect that if they really wanted to replicate a Les Paul, so as to be indistinguishable from a genuine instrument, they would be able to do so quite easily.

Of course 'they' would.

DJ

--

Those of you who are wondering what the differences are, compare these two pictures (aside from the tuners as the real one has Klusons which have a different shape than the fake Grovers on the fake). If you have an eye for detail (or even not so much), there are a lot of obvious differences.

No offense towards anyone, but if you can't see some of these differences, consider buying a less expensive guitar than a Gibson because a good portion of what you're paying for is fluffy details.

Not real

131599_20.jpg

Real

CS85848-headstock-l.jpg

Archived