Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Mahogany top-----Need info, please.

MissouriPicker

I have an old friend who lives on the east coast and he's looking to sell his all mahogany J45. He's had it about a year. Says it's too quiet for him. The guitar is in great shape......Anyone heard one of these "live" or have some personal experience with one? Personally, I don't care if it's not real loud. I wouldn't expect a hog top to project like spruce. I like volume, but I also like the mellowness and warmth. Besides, when I'm gigging I'm plugged-in and when I'm home I like the softer tones.

I love 'em. They are solid chord chunkers that tend to have the ability to load up when played with intensity, and they convert that energy into pure Gibson rumble. And at the other extreme, well suited to the singer-songwriter's fingerpicking style that we've seen in your videos, Larry. But when you're playing with the boys, the 'hog would be the more ballsy sound in the mix. Sounds like your friend's guitar could be true to form there.

Many players have the same model guitar in different tonewoods. In the case of the all-mahogany J-45, it's not just about how they sound different, but how they handle.

Quiet is a good description of mahogany tops. As a matter of fact "too quiet" says it better for me. IMO a poor choice for top, tone wood. I have never played hog top guitar that I liked; Gibson, Guild, Taylor, none. As a matter of fact same goes for Koa. Pretty to look at though. All of the things you like about a spruce top are gone with mahogany.

Put some medium stings on it and pound the tar out of it. Not trying to hurt any feelings but I would recommend he give to someone he doesn't like. YMMV.

Well, it's now out-of-my-hands. He emailed me and said his brother-in-law wants it...lol....I can understand that. My son wanted my rosewood AJ (and I wasn't looking to sell it) and I gave it to him.

I really appreciate the opposite views on this guitar. Good views from different perspectives. Never played an all mahogany J45 and don't think I've knowingly ever played or owned a mahogany top guitar. I'll keep my eyes open for a hog top and maybe get an idea what the tone is like. From being somewhat of a "purist" in regards to just what a Hummingbird, J45, J200, etc. should be, I think this old dog has learned a few things over the last couple of years.......Thanks for the good and honest viewpoints on the hog top.

Quiet is a good description of mahogany tops. As a matter of fact "too quiet" says it better for me. IMO a poor choice for top, tone wood. I have never played hog top guitar that I liked; Gibson, Guild, Taylor, none. As a matter of fact same goes for Koa. Pretty to look at though. All of the things you like about a spruce top are gone with mahogany.

Put some medium stings on it and pound the tar out of it. Not trying to hurt any feelings but I would recommend he give to someone he doesn't like. YMMV.

Finally hearing from someone who shares my dislike of mahogany tops! Gotta say,though,they sure are even - quiet and dull straight through. I like the bass to boom and the treble to ring: kinda like a Gibson.

Actually, about an hour ago I played an all solid wood mahogany at GC. It was an Alvarez MFA66 something-or-other. To be honest, I thought it was sweet-as-hell. Just fun to play. Not as loud as some other guitars for sure, but mellow and a deep sound. Lots of folks looking for a booming bass might not care for it, but I like that kind of tone as well as a more in-your-face sound. ..........BTW, if someone is looking to sell a Gibson, give me a yell. I'm in the market for another one. Not too interested in any small bodies or Songwriters. Mostly 000 size and up.

Archived