Gibson Brands Forums

1997 Gibson Special

rupertmja

I just got myself a well used and abused Gibson Special for just over $200 or so. One the one hand, it's battered state might look like the road wear that so many chase after but in reality is a bit of a shipwreck. Wrong tuners, leaving holes - not even fitted straight, loose jack plug, wonky toggle switch, bent strap point, flattened frets 9but not too bad), badly chipped paint and lacquer.

So .. should I strip it and all the paint and redo, or, try to fix it up as a relic?

post-76766-060538700 1455362713_thumb.jpg

post-76766-034373600 1455362761_thumb.jpg

post-76766-008789000 1455362797_thumb.jpg

If it were mine, I would leave it battered and road-worn, but make it playable.

I would fix the cable jack, I would clean it, polish it, restring it, set the neck, the action, and intonation.

But would leave the finish the way it is.

One question;

Why doesn't it have the Gibson logo on the headstock?

The Gibson logo has mostly come off, except for the b of Gibson. 'Les Paul Special' is still visible. I just did a serial check and it is a 1998.

Also just tuned it up and it plays quite nicely. Needs properly sorting.

Should I get some Gibson tuners or some locking ones that fit the Gibson holes? Any recommendations as for locking ones?

Have to admit - I am quite excited by my new find/project ...

post-76766-090048500 1455366541_thumb.jpg

For me; this would be an opportunity to make something completely new out of something old. Refinish it in a colour you want, repair the damages, fill all the holes and redo the machineheads with your own (mounted properly, too). I'd recommend some solid metallic paintjob, personally; a good look, and hides any repairs or fillers.

Do it right msp_thumbup.gif

I have 3 options:

1 Leave it as is. just clean it up / set it up and use it. Actually, I have been doing just that this last week. It looks a lot better.

2 Relic it - clean up some of the battered parts. Re-profile the frets a little. I may do this. I have the tools. Get Gibson machine heads, or Grover locking ones which I like. And fill the holes.

3 Strip it completely and either leave it as wood if it turns out nice or paint it black again. I like black.

I think #1 for now as I am busy and then plan for #2. Only problem is in some places the paint/lacquer is cracking and falling off. It has been abused somewhat I would say. I can always go for #3 if #2 fails ...

• 4 weeks later...

Replace the tuners (should be individual Kluson-style: you can figure out which online), clean it up, fix what don't work, and play it!

As has been pointed out, some people pay good money for a pre-relic'd guitar like this one.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You can get and aftermarket decal if you want to restore the Gibson logo, which is the only "cosmetic" upgrade I might consider.

• 2 months later...

Archived