Gibson Brands Forums

Help upgrading a SG Faded

controlthebleeding

Hello,

this is my 3rd post on here, so i'm not sure if this is the correct forum or folder i should be listing in, but if not, i apologize in advance.. as the kids say nowadays "my bad"

Ok, so i've had a gibson sg faded for sometime now. It's mostly been a at home guitar since i hate taking too and from practice and my bandmate's other band shares a rehearsal space with us, so i just use his les paul. I know it's a low cost gibson, and while it's been working fine and dandy (even the tuning machines) i don't get enough "UMPH" out of it. it's pretty week, then again im comparing it too a Les Paul so.... I wanted to get a little more distortion and sustain out of it rather than buying another pedal. I bought this from a friend for $200 so i can't complain. it's action is awesome, i love it, just not quite what i need it for. I forgot to mention i play metal in the vain of baroness/torche/his hero is gone kinda stuff. i need a bit more balls than what it has now.

hopefully someone can recommend a PUP that will help my guitar get the sustain and distortion i'm looking for.. it just sounds really dry at the moment.

and maybe some other upgades (mods) too...

I'd suggest going to the Seymour Duncan web site and listening to sound clips of the various pickups there. That's what I did when I was looking to replace the minis on my LP Deluxe after the bridge pickup died.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/

This will give you an idea of what they sound like, and it's a lot less expensive than buying a bunch of pickups and swapping them in and out.

I have a Faded, too, as well as a Les Paul, and I'd say much of the difference is in the construction: the SG is carved out of mahogany, while the LP is a laminate of mahogany and maple.

I installed EMG 81s in my SG. I also use EMGs in my other guitars including a Les Paul. These pick-ups sound amazing in the SG though, especially for metal playing. I also put a fine tuning bridge on my SG for fine tuning, the one B.B. King has on his Lucille guitar.

What companies do???

Your question is extremely vague, however I am going to assume thats a question in regards to my earlier post. In which case, the answer is Seymour Duncan. I am speaking from personel expirence of thier '59 model SH-1, which is great for country, jazz, blues, funk, classic rock and heavy rock. They also feature several other models which cover a broad range of tones, such as the Custom 5™ SH-14, which is perfect for pop, country, blues, classic rock and heavy rock, or the Custom Custom™ SH-11 which I have along with the '59 model, and it covers pop, country, blues, classic rock and heavy rock as well. These are only 3 pickups in thier extremely broad product lineup.

The other guitarist in one of my bands (the one that plays originals and edgier music) had me install a set of GFS "Crunchy Pat" humbuckers in his Les Paul and he's been super happy with the ballsy goodness and meaty grind that he's gotten out of them. They're like a Gibson pickup in voicing but with more bottom end and higher output, plus they're well-potted so you don't have to worry about squealing at higher gain/volume. They're also about half the price of "name brand" pickups and have all the bells and whistles as the big boys, I've got a set of their '59 humbuckers for one of my Epiphones and they bring that guitar to life. They're worth checking out, for sure, I can say they pack a punch and have the right bang for the buck that experimentation is worthwhile. Most DiMarzio's to me seem like one-trick ponies, and don't offer versatility outside of their dedicated "design". Duncans can be moody, but occasionally after some searching you can find THE ONE that does your guitar justice. Stay away from some of the low-end "Duncan Designed" pickups though; people have told me some of them are good, but all my personal experience with them has been not-so-good.

H-bomb

The other guitarist in one of my bands (the one that plays originals and edgier music) had me install a set of GFS "Crunchy Pat" humbuckers in his Les Paul and he's been super happy with the ballsy goodness and meaty grind that he's gotten out of them. They're like a Gibson pickup in voicing but with more bottom end and higher output' date=' plus they're well-potted so you don't have to worry about squealing at higher gain/volume. They're also about half the price of "name brand" pickups and have all the bells and whistles as the big boys, I've got a set of their '59 humbuckers for one of my Epiphones and they bring that guitar to life. They're worth checking out, for sure, I can say they pack a punch and have the right bang for the buck that experimentation is worthwhile. Most DiMarzio's to me seem like one-trick ponies, and don't offer versatility outside of their dedicated "design". Duncans can be moody, but occasionally after some searching you can find THE ONE that does your guitar justice. Stay away from some of the low-end "Duncan Designed" pickups though; people have told me some of them are good, but all my personal experience with them has been not-so-good.

H-bomb[/quote']

+1... I installed a GFS in my beater and the sound is awesome, for the money you cannot beat them.

Their website is www.guitarfetish.com make sure you read the descriptions, they are very accurate IMO.

Archived